New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've got an Alpine Type-R 12" in a custom ported box (built my dad and me). It is wired to a 2 ohm load going to a Profile CA400M amp pushing 320 watts rms. It is slamming like no other ;). I'm loving it a whole lot, everytime I let someone hear my system, I get them to guess what I have. No one has ever guessed one 12, people have said two 10s, two 12s, and one 15.

Also I installed a pair of 6.5" Alpine Type-S Coaxials. They are running off of an albeit ****ty pioneer 200 watt max amp. They get really loud and sound quite good. They deserve a better amp though, I can only turn the gain up on the pioneer amp MAYBE 1/4 and it starts to distort something horrible.

My future plans are to get a second Type-R, a second CA400M, and a Doubleshot Snailshell box made by Powered4Sound. Their snaishell design provides the response of a sealed box and more output than a standard ported box. Very interesting stuff, I'm anxious to see if their box is as good as they make it out to be.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Cool another Profile fan. When I had my Ford Focus I used to swear by Profile amps.Most people call them trash because they're so low-priced, but they'll hit hard. In my audio "glory days" I used to have 2 Profile California 600MSX's pushing 2 Kicker Comp 12's in a ported box. My trunk would almost want to jump off the car. Good 'ol days. Instead of buying another 400 sell the one you have and buy the California 1200. You'll love it! Trust me!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats an option, but only if I can find a buyer for my 400M

EDIT - Actually I think the CA800 would be the best option. Type-R 12s are rated at 350wRMS I believe, and the CA800 would give each woofer 300 watts, the CA1200 would give each 450 watts.....which may be a bit too much.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Those alpines are sturdier than you'd like to think. I had 300rms running to each Kicker Comp 12" rated at 150rms for a year before I sold it. They're in my friends Explorer right now still poundin' :thumbsup: The price difference between the CA800 and the CA1200 is minimal for the 400 Watt difference. I'd say go with the 1200 and if you're afraid for your woofers don't turn the amp up all the way. Better to have a 1200 watt amp turned down than have an 800 watt amp turned up if you get my drift.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i dont think you can really over power subs...you can certainly distort them very easily though...i have 550 rms watts going into one 12 Rockford that is rated at 200 rms...i did eventualy blow it but that was an old sub i bought off a friend and it pounded for well over a year..i would definately stay away from kicker unless you want ugly distorted but very loud sound...if yourr looking for a cheap high current amp for cheap check out the JBL 1200.1 you can get it for like $250 or so on ebay...i dont much about that amp but is a decent name and good price...i am very partial to JL,Rockford, and zapco amps myself...well worth the cost and a whole lot of bang for your buck..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.