New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alrite i get out of school in a few days and i'm planning on doing a few small paint mods.

-first i'm going to paint the headlights but i have a silver car and don't know what shade of silver to use

-then i'm going to paint the calipers and the rear rotors. i'm not even sure they are the rotors but they are the big metal disks on the back that don't seem to do much.

-paint all of the black around the headlights. i was wondering if any1 had any pics and what type of paint etc.

-heres the one i'm skeptical about; painting all of the rubber around the windows. i'm skeptical because i don't think paint with stick well to rubber. if any1 has done this i'd appreciate u'r input

also i was wondering if any1 had thought of putting a decal over those friggin mercury symbol holes in the back. as of now i have the front cougar symbol on there but i want to shave it all

thanx...andrew

G

·
first of all, if you have the V6, then you have disc brakes all around. that means you have four calipers to paint. :) You aren't painting the actual rotors though, that wouldn't do anything cuz the pads would just scrape off the paint when you used the brakes. oops, that was sort of an obvious comment. anyway, I would suggest first looking around and seeing what color caliper paint there is. I know at pep boys they only sell a select few (blue, red, and yellow I think). If you are going to try and find silver claiper paint you might have a hard time. Try going to one of those honda import stores, they keep popping up everywhere nowadays. I've never heard of someone painting the black rubber, but it sounds like a good idea! They sell this stuff called 'paint adhesion promoter'. I'd be sure to spray that on before any primer or paint. Also, use detailing/auto painting paint. The vinyl stuff is meant for interiors and is not water proof and might come off in the rain. A clearcoat might also help you. Hope I answered all your questions.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx a lot and i do have a v6 but only have front disk brakes. i bought it used the the person before me was cheap and barely got any options, which in a way is good because it leaves more money open for mods

G

·
I'd say you should think about doing the headlight housings a nice gloss black. That's what I did when I had my gold cougar and it looked really nice. That way you can do a nice two tone car and do a little detail work and make it all go together. Right now I'm trying to think of some detailing I can do to my TA, but I don't want to ruin it :biggrin: There's a pic of it, kinda hard to see, but with the blackouts on the back and black side markers it looked pretty cool

G

·
As a side note, you don't HAVE to use special caliper paint. Most stores sell enging enamel that'll work just as well. It's usually good for up to like 1000 degrees or something like that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would definately go with the glossy black for the headlight housing as Sas said...I've seen it on a few and I think it looks good...but that also depends on the overall look you're wanting it to have

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i'm trying to go for an all silver theme, but i'm prolly tinting my windows. originally i was going to get a titanium or mirror tint but now i might just got regular dark tint so black headlights wouldn't look to to bad

·
Registered
716 Posts
You don't have to use only caliper paint, you can also use duplicolor high temp engine paint. I did mine with duplicolor and it worked really well. Make sure you clear coat them, otherwise brake dust will cover them fairly quickly. Also, I wouldn't paint rubber. I can tell you from experience, paint does not stick to rubber well. You can probably make it work, but it will take a TON of really, really good flex agent in the paint, otherwise it will flake off in no time. My advise, stay away from the rubber, it's just too touch and go...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts