New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a new driver and thinking about getting a couagar. I live in the ann arbor michigan area and wanted tips on driving in the snow in general and in a cougar also and tips on getting unstuck and fun things to do in the winter in a cougar. Any info is greatly appreciated. P.S. It will be a automatic (Ya I know I suck )

G

·
Sorry, can't help you!! I now live in AZ and have forgotten everything in the two years here. Actually, I am from WI and haven't forgotten everything.

Biggest thing to remember - it takes longer usually to stop. ABS can help - but only if used correctly. Don't know about the traction control system - never had a car with one when I lived up in the tundra. If yours will not have it: Get used to wheel spin. Go to a large deserted parking lot, and have some fun. This will give you an idea of what the car can and cannot do in snow.

Reverse donuts are fun in the snow!!!

Wilde

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
If you don't get traction control, try starting from a stop in second gear when its slippery. You won't accelerate very quickly, but you should slow down in the snow anyway.

As for getting stuck, it's similar to being in mud, try rocking back and forth to break out of your rut. If you spin your tires excessively without moving, you'll form a layer of ice under your tires. Also carrying a small bag of ice melt, sand, etc. can be useful. Spead it around near your front tires, and it will give you something to grip.

I am in complete agreement with wilde about the parking lot thing. After the first snow find an empty parking lot and feel you car out. I noticed that under braking without ABS, the back end likes to lock up and get a littl squirrely. Nothing too horrible, but something you'd want to get used to before you are driving in traffic.

G

·
As someone that has driven in snow for 10 years I can give you some advise. The parking lot thing was the best piece. It will get you use to your cars handling and stopping ablity. Slow down. That is the biggest thing. I always see people for the first few weeks of winter zooming around like it is summer and they are the ones that you are going to see crashing. Traction control and ABS help. REmember to not take your foot off the brake when braking with ABS that pretty much eliminates the point of it just hit the brake and steer where you want to go. If it is looking like you are going to hit something look where you want to go and steer there not at what you are heading for or you will hit it. If you need to flip the backend of your car out (I do this if I am trying to go around a corner and ends up the car is going straight instead of turning) you can use your e-brake to lock the back tires and turn the front ones where you want to turn this will put the car sideways and then let the e-brake go and give a bit of gas.
Best bet is to do the parking lot thing though.
Marc

·
Registered
394 Posts
You can really tell someone how to drive in the Winter. They have to gain experience to be good. My girlfriend is a prime example. Ditched hear car 4 times in one Winter and is finally getting a clue on what snow,ice,etc....does to the roads.

G

·
another thing when you are drivin on ice don't hit your brakes, let off the gas, in a front wheel drive this will normally take care of slipping,

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I Bought it today and pick it up wedesday. It's a 99 leather fully loaded sport and convenice packages except a moon roof. It's ATX I got abs and traction control 22,000 miles on it $12,700 Good deal I think.

G

·
Marcus is right about finding an empty parking lot without dividers or pot holes that you know about and just go crazy and have a ton of fun!I live in snow free south florida but spent most of my life in Rhode Island and had many a fun times in the snow and it will serve a purpose so that you'll be able to controll your car in the snow in an emergency so go and have fun!Oh yeah when the police come around just tell them your practicing to be able to handle your car in bad weather and maybe he will understand!Take care,Ron

·
Registered
430 Posts
WinHac, come over to the MC NECO Catagory and talk to other Michiganders about driving in the snow, and so you can join up with us, for meets etc. PM me if you need anything.

G

·
Just take it easy in the snow. The cougar is ver good in the snow compaired to my previous vehicle (95 automatic s-10 2wd) Starting in second is a good idea (almost necessary) and make sure you have good tires on the car.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Most of the posts here has pretty much covered the snow travel. #1 thing though is to drive slow and careful. Don't want to see any wrecked cougars this year :tongue: One thing that ticks me off with some of the people here in Nashville. I just moved up here from Auburn, AL and ofcourse we rarely see any snow down in southern AL. Well moved up to Nashville and get a good bit, more than what I am use to anyway and yet people wanting to do 60+mph, then they hit a bridge and nearly kill themselves among others.

So my advice is just use common sense. If its cold and wet out, then chances are the bridges are going to be iced up. And as for brakeing, lightly tap the brakes, don't slam them. If you slam them you'll lose control.

Interstate travel I kept O/D off and didn't go over 50mph **provided this is after salt-trucks has cleared the highway, if its before 6am here in town then it just depends on the road. If it is covered in snow I'll probably have my flashers on doing about 30-35mph just to be safe** And ofcoruse really slow on bridges, I. E. they freeze first.

Or on really good tip on snow travel, stay behind an 18-wheeler, they will break any ice and clear a path. Although your car will have that crappy gray look later heh but will be safe.

And as for me, driving in town. Speed limit isn't but 30mph anyway, I usualy shift down to 2nd gear and just take it easy if roads is a mess and not clear. Get as much power on the front wheels as I can.

Or be like alot of people around here do, winter travel, drive in 4x4/all wheel drives :)

Hope it helps.

G

·
I was told that I was a idiot for not selling my 87 BroncoII. Believe me, I hate the thing. I have put over 2500 into that POS. But after buying my cougar, its gonna be nice havin a car that is 4x4 and can handle good in the snow.

I second the idea to buy a beater. My friend just found a POS Ranger that is 4x4 just for those snowy days.

You might think its a waste of money until it snows.

G

·
<< I Bought it today and pick it up wedesday. It's a 99 leather fully loaded sport and convenice packages except a moon roof. It's ATX I got abs and traction control 22,000 miles on it $12,700 Good deal I think. >>

I feel sorry for you for buying one, heh they're POS, I bought mine brand new off the factory lot.

$22,000 fully loaded (minus side air bags & traction control) in 2000.

I don't think I could give that piece of **** away, the people at my dealer know me by first name.

I've got a stack of papers a couple inches thick related to this beater, wish I'd seen this post earlier I'd have gladly sold ya the thing ;)

I will say it does give you fun in rain & snow... if you like risking your life.

Light rain into a minor bend at 35... 540 degrees later thinking to myself hrmm I've got 24k mi on these tires ain't that some ****....

Light rain going down a hill at 30 ... starts to spin into traffic ... used a curb to stop me... buying a set of new tires for the front side today.... the cop was impressed with my ability to change tires quickly... I told him I had lots of practice thanks to driving this thing.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The factory tires do suck. I replacement mine within 3000 miles. Today, with my Toyos, I took a sharp onramp at 72MPH today in the rain with 100% traction. I know this because that's how fast the cop said I was going. :flushed: I was like "really.. it felt like I was going maybe 30." (OK, I didn't say that... but I did get let off with a warning)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts