New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what to do up until this "Clip" has to be takin out. On the How to, it says that you just have to remove it, and also that it is very fragile. I need to know how to get the clip off without the tool and without breakin the "clip".

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
i just used a flathead screw driver...i'd reccomend putting your other hand on the back side so when ya pry it off it doesnt shoot behind your dash...just remove it slowly and you'll be fine

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
I dunno, I just pulled... it turned out fine.. which clip is it? is it the "C" clip that's holding the spring in, or the white one that goes into the ball that comes out of the "arm" of the shifter? Either way, I just pulled them both off by hand.. the only tool I ever used was to unscrew the bolts at the top..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is the clip hold the spring in. By hand you say, i bench a good 215 and with a flat head between the clip and assembly it wasnt moving(i was pushing <---------- that way). WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
i'll try and find a digi cam and take some pics for ya...my dash is still apart as im working on some video install work so if i can find a cam i'll help ya out

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Man, trust me, I've replaced about 3 Cougar shifters in the last 3 months. Don't bother to even try to get the retaining clip off without breaking it. Save yourself a lot of hassle & time and go to Ford and buy a retaining clip (probably buy 2 just to be safe) ... they are not expensive. The part number is YS4Z-7K453-FA

When the dealer tells you its a Focus part, tell them you know.... but trust me, it will fit the Cougar : )

Even with breaking the clip and putting a brand new one on, I found it a REAL BIT*H to get the clip back on. Goodluck.

Darrell.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
wow.. I seriously didn't not have that much problem getting it off.. maybe mine was replaced before, cuz my C clip was metal, and it pulls off nice and easy without breaking.. I've taken out my shifter at least 5 times now, each time without problems.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
alright...the first pic is of me jabbing it with a screw driver...the second pic is of it laying on the carpet..and the third of it re-installed...had no problems at all...took more time getting flash ready for a single pic than removing and re-installing

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WHAT YEAR IS YOUR COUGAR......THAT ISNT HOW MY SHIFTER IS SET UP!!!! ........ok the shifter is out(thank god), now there is a umm well a holder that goes around the OEM shift ball... do it take it off, and how? Or do i just throw the new one in

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
i have a 99...and you keep the black rubber thing and attach it to the new one...it comes apart into two peices i beleive if ya were needing help on removing it...i cant remember tho as its been a while since i did mine

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Well, you probably have this done already. Yes, my shifter setup is completely different then the one in the pics as well.

You have to remove all the removable components from the stock shifter and place is on the aftermarket shifter.

If you have ANY other questions, PM me... I usually don't return to threads more than once.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yep, I have an '02 and the pics aren't of mine either. As the others said yes you keep all the pieces from the stock unit and just reinstall. That clip on the left side with like 8 metal pieces bent down is a pain in the arse. Mine now has 7 pieces, oops!! Hope you got it, because I love my short throw shifter!!

·
Premium Member
16,842 Posts
I have a 99 and it doesn'tmatch that pic either..:) However I did lose my clip and had to drie to the parts store with a pair of vicegrips on there :tongue:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.