New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,844 Posts
Best to remove the manifold. You don’t want to knock that crap down inside your cylinders.

There’s a good how-to in the how-to section for manifold removal/replace.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Also if it's available try using non ethanol fuel it'll help with carbon deposits. At least for me in northwest corner of florida.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
EGR and ****ty oem PCV oil/air separator are to blame.

Can take it off and scrub it in parts cleaner, sand blaster works nice too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Pcv is pretty cheap to replace and pretty easy as well being under the air filter and hose. Egr is slightly more difficult due to the exhaust pipe nut/flare running to the manifold being more than likely seized up due to oxidation.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,844 Posts
Pcv is pretty cheap to replace and pretty easy as well being under the air filter and hose.
Not on a 2001 - the PCV is a non-serviceable unit located in the valley between the heads. You have to remove a cylinder head to R&R.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
If your not ready to pull the lower manifold for cleaning right this minute, you could do an aggressive seafoam treatment which might help some.

I wouldn't stress out about the EGR and PCV. Unless you're sucking excessive air or getting EGR codes, they're probably working as designed, that gunk just builds up in there during normal operation.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm going to be installing an oil catch can with my build, 🤞 it will prevent this from happening

1 - 8 of 8 Posts