New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after starting the heavy work on the body of my car, i have came to the quick conclusion i need an air compressor, air tank, and 6" orbital air sander... due to the massive amounts of shaving/molding/sanding im doing. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Im looking for something thats decent quality that will last me awhile but at the same time isnt crappy quality but doesnt cost an arm or a leg.

Ive been looking at homedepots website, and it looks like they have some nice ones for 3-500 dollars that range from 2-6 gallon air tanks with an average of 2HP. Mind you im going to be doing tons of sanding, and i would need something that will fit my needs. Also what brand or type of 6" orbital sander would you recommend aswell?? Should i go with the cheapo ones off ebay, or stick with a good brand? Would there be any other tools i will need? I already have a hand block sander, a 2" long block sander, all the supplies i need, an applicator gun for some fusor products, plastic boards/spreaders, tape, and drills/bits...

SOOO what im trying to say is does anyone have any recommendations or help for me? Thanks ahead of time

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
if you are going to be doing any type of sanding you will need a larger tank than 6 gallons, unless of course you want the compressor to be kicking on every minute.

also match the cfm ratings of the sander to the compressor. this step is not really that important with sanders, but it is more important if you are going to be using impact wrenches, or air powered ratchets.

also are the compressors you are looking at belt driven or direct drive? oil lubricated or oil free? take a peak at sears.com and look at some craftsman compressors<--shameless plug, i know.

any other questions?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
As some one that owns a "pancake" compressor, i agree with j99coug. It works fine for impact wrenches, but for ANY air tool thats going to be constantly on your gonna need one of the BIG compressors, some thing that looks as big and as tall as lets say a water heater, to power a sander, grinder ....

I love mine but then again i use it more for wood working... the ammount of air powering a nailer vs a sander is comparable to shots vs kegs heh.

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
haha pancake compressors are so cute looking. they are so dinky compared to the big 40 gallon we have in my store.

something around a 30 gallon would work wonders for you.like this craftsman model.

the only downside to that compressor is that it is direct drive and wont last as long as a belt driven one. and it is also oil free and it is quite the loud little sob!

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could care less about sound, For an acutal compressor/tank, im looking at something that will end up lasting me a year to two years, something that will last me until i can move out of the house and be off to college or whatnot. So that means, this senior year for me and next summer. But realistically i only need it for this short term work, say a month or two. But im really liking that 33 gallon tank. So would i have to end up getting an orbital sander that is 6.4 CFM? Would that do for me, for what im looking at?

After looking thru sears i found this one that i like : Here What would you think of that one?

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
oh [censored], i would make almost 20 bucks off that compressor if i sold it to you.
oil-check
belt driven-check
good size/output-check
all around bad ass-check
if you've got the money i say go for it man!

for the sander anything under a 10 cfm rating would work well.

·
Administrator
15,616 Posts
I have this one. 6 horsepower, 30 gallon upright...it works great for me. I've run a DA sander off it, as well and an impact wrench. It's nice because it's on wheels and you can move it around, and it doesn't require 220 service.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
forgot one thing, unless you garage is wired for 220 you arent going to be able to run that compressor. you'll need to find a compressor that is rated at 120 for a regular 110 outlet.

i dont know to much about the da sanders, maybe someone else with experience with body work will chime in..

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Buy two cheap ones, run them together to fill a Big Detached tank.....what i have done. But i am still only using impact wrenches so i don't use too much air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.