New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Um...
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the cougar in to the shop yesterday, and they confirmed what I already knew. I've managed to blow the Synchros in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears on my Manual transmission. They recommended I find a used or rebuilt tranny, because while it would still be damn expensive, it would be a hell of a lot less expensive than rebuilding my f'ed up transmission.

So, I'm asking for advice from all of you, since I know there are people here that know a hell of a lot more about this than I. 1st, can someone recommend places they know of that sell tranny's for the Cougar? Also, what is the specific name of our manual tranny? MTX-75?

And finally... besides just adding a Quaife... is there anything better to replace a tranny with? Because I have 70k miles on the car, and am out of warranty so this is all coming out of my pocket.

Thanks,

Reagan

Edit: I can't beleive it... eBay has one. What does everyone think of this?

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
You want to find a MTX75 from a duratec built in 00+ (as new as possible).

There were some internal changes made in the newer models, like selctor fork upgades, shift tower, etc.

You want the newest model shift tower, most people purchase the focus shift tower.

The Quaife is a great addition.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Also get the upgraded shifter forks with ball bearings etc. They are cheap and made for the focus but never made it into the cougar/contour. It will shift like butta when done.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Reagan, I got a '00 MTX75 with just under 20k miles on it from star autoparts (salvage yard in Janesville, WI) for about 500. that includes a 6 month warranty. Personally I would try and find a used transaxle as opposed to rebuilding/buying new.

Sorry to hear about the problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts