New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I've had it with this $hit the fuel pump is going and it is going this weekend. I have one week before I get married and this needs to get taken care of this weekend. Unfortunately I have never done this on a IN TANK PUMP. I have replaced many motor mounted pumps. But I need to get some direction on replacing this electric in tank crap. so if anyone knows where I can locate some directions on this I would be very grateful. The pump should be here Thursday. So I just need the know how.
:confused:
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I believe it is just a matter of dropping your gas tank, being careful to disconnect the wiring harness and lines on the upper side of the tank before trying to bring it down.

The pump can now be accessed and changed.

Get a Chiltons manual, it will give you everything you need (bolt by bolt)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I prefer Haynes but the can both blow me cause they are way too expensive right now. Thanks though I appreciate the help

Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got a Chilton's which covers the 95-99 Contour/Mystique & Cougar. You can access the fuel pump by removing the back seat cushions and it is under the rubber cover located below the cup holder in my 2000. You need to relieve the fuel pressure first before working on the pump or fuel filter. Chilton's recommends a special Fuel Tank Sender Wrench D84P-9275-A to loosen the retaining ring of the in tank pump. BTW, I had a '79 Mazda RX7 and instead of replacing the inline pump when it went TU, I just piggybacked an external electric pump in the fuel line. Probably won't work with the Cougar, but it was much easier and cheaper than the Mazda pump. Chilton's also cautions you to be careful when removing the pump to not damage the sending unit for the gas gauge. The Chilton's was $16.99 before tax. I'll probably buy a Haynes too.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man where did you get your books at one I can't find them in the store and two when I called my dealer and they told me to call a chiltons rep and they told me that it was $119.34

Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mike,
Got the Chilton's at Schucks Auto. I think they are known as Kragens (?sp) elsewhere. I live in the Northwest. You could probably order it off Amazon.com also. The Chilton's # is 26170. Since it covers 95-99, most of the pics are for the Contour and Mystique but they're the same platform as the Cougar.

P.S. The cover has a big picture of a Cougar on the front:)

If you try to change the pump yourself, be extremely careful about sparks, open flames, etc, etc. :cover:

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts