New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i just bought my tail light covers, pre painted laser red, how are they supposed to be put on? I am sure using 3m taping, anyone have a some that haven't been installed yet that can take a picture to show me how to put them on?
please let me know
Thanks in advance
Mike

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
From what I've heard, use 3M double sided tape. I've also heard of outlining your lights with black electrical tape to prevent light leaking at night. Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your help! anyone else heard about the black electrical tape to prevent light leaks? i would like to know where exactly to put that,
thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I didn't use any elec. tape and mine don't leak any light so I got lucky. My guess is to put some on the edges of the tail light assembly near the two bubbles. You could always just put some around the entire edges.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya sounds good, i will do that, i'll get pics up of the car in a month, going through so much now.
Thanks alot for your help, i'll take any other suggestions or hints
Mike

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
yes definately use the tape. if not and you have any light leakage.. you'll have to pull them off to put tape down and put them back on. not worth it, might as well do it before hand just in case.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
yep yep, without a doubt I would outline them with the black tape...................BIG help :biggrin:

Good luck,
Sunni :)

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
so where exactly do you tape?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not qutie figure this out either, however, I am gonna take my tail light cover and stick it over my lights when they are on and see where the lght shines through and tape those areas, shouldn't be too hard.
Mike

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I would tape the edges of the entire tail light assembly. Just fold a piece of tape over the edge and tuck it in the crack between the car and trunk. Basically outline the tail light assembly.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey ceanus thanks alot, I am just gonna remove my taillights and tape around the edge and a little bit down in the crack.
Thanks again, this is gonna be cake when i go to do it :banana:
Mike

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
You probably dont have to remove the taillight, sounds like you want to do more work then is necessary. :) Like I said earlier, if you take your time and put the covers on properly you get very little light leak (not noticeable unless you're like 6inches away). When putting the covers on, I found the best way is to start at the corner that is near the side of your car (not the corner touching the trunk). Line it up and wrap it around towards the trunk.

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Thanks caenus..I just ordered mine last night.

G

·
does anyone have pictures yet.

My tail light covers are being painted right now by a place called 'Trick Trucks' in Chantilly. I hope they are ready tomorrow so I can have them over the weekend.

CAT - '01 Tropic Green MTX...what a tough color to match up.

,Jeremy

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Most of the non-flat colors that have that metallic flake in it are more difficult. The easy ones I can imagine are black, white, yellow,rio red while the hard ones are laser red, tourmaline green, silver. I attached a few recent ones of mine.

BTW, I think I got the two reds right, one is a bright red (rio red) and the other is more of a burgundy (laser red), but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah Ceanus, you are probably right about the colors. Mine came painted :bowdown: for a whole 40 dollars. Good deal I'd say.
Thanks for all your replys, your help is appreciate.
Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts