New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well on my search for a project car a guy at work offered me his mustang for $7000 but i'm going to try to talk him down. it's a 96-98 mustang GT manual with the 4.6 V8 with under 100k miles. it has stock 17" tires on it with hankook tires (less then 2000 miles on them), magnaflow exhaust, and he says he's got some brand of headers that he's got to still put on and some other odds and ends. the only bad stuff is that it has some cosmetic damage from when he hit a deer and for the fact that's it's freaking PURPLE!!! anyway what are the good and bad about this year abd do's and don'ts. any stock numbers would be great like HP, TQ, 1/4 mile, weight stuff like that my goal is to make it 380-400 HP n/a before going supercharged or turboed:evil:. any any input would help alot. thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
The 96-98 Mustang GT's are rated at 215 horsepower and 98 GT's are 225. Sounds adequate until u factor in they weigh about as much as my mom when she gets done at the buffet line. Any to make 380-400 naturally aspirated wheel horsepower from the 2V 4.6L is going to be damn near impossible but good luck, alot easier to swap a terminator motor from a 03-04 cobra.

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
pre 99 2 valve 4.6L engines suck! Look for a different car ... besides, it's way over priced!
Sean hyland makes a 400hp N/A 2V 4.6 Motor. It costs $11,000, but that's besides the point.

You could always drop in a different motor if you wanted. But I agree, $7k is a bit high.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
That is a little high. you could get a lot more for the same or less.

Example

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
That is a little high. you could get a lot more for the same or less.

Example
Yeah if I was going to get that body style I would stick with the 94's with the 5.0L. Much better for performance enhancements. Or go for a 99+ stay away from the 95-98's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts