New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the smell of led's in the morning (changing led's in rear defroster button)

I changed all the led's on the door buttons and figured Ill check the defrost button I got it out and there werent any resistors in it so I just cut the old led's out and put in the blue ones when I reconected it a couple of quick flashes .......a little burst of heat and a puff of smoke

this is the way I hooked it up anyone remember if this is correct? The spot where the yellow led is is the one that burned out

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
I love the smell of led's in the morning (changing led's in rear defroster button)

I dunno for sure, but maybe the LED just wasn't rated high enough. I wouldn't think the positive or negative side would really matter.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Originally posted by: 01blkcat
You need a 470ohm resistor to keep it from blowing... those were LEDs that were designed for that circuit....
Exactly, you want to either put the correct cap inline, or find the correct LED. I personally just went with a cap and soldered it inline like the ones in the door buttons, you can get them at Radio Shack.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts

Originally posted by: Fett
Originally posted by: 01blkcat You need a 470ohm resistor to keep it from blowing... those were LEDs that were designed for that circuit....
Exactly, you want to either put the correct cap inline, or find the correct LED. I personally just went with a cap and soldered it inline like the ones in the door buttons, you can get them at Radio Shack.

Don't you mean resistors? Capacitors hold energy... resistors can step it down....

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Yea, not sure what I was thinking there. I guess I am just used to calling them caps.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

ok I got it to work a while ago, the led that didnt pop was backwards(luckily) and I replaced the one that popped with a new one I also ran to radioshack and picked up the 470ohm resistors and put one on each led it works fine now......I did the both doors and the defroster, just have to do the trunk release and the sunroof buttons then start working on the other pieces that are more difficult........thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts

Originally posted by: denn
ok I got it to work a while ago, the led that didnt pop was backwards(luckily) and I replaced the one that popped with a new one I also ran to radioshack and picked up the 470ohm resistors and put one on each led it works fine now......I did the both doors and the defroster, just have to do the trunk release and the sunroof buttons then start working on the other pieces that are more difficult........thanks for the help!

Resistors don't normally get damaged from installing them backwards. For the most part, the polarity isn't there for the LED to light, thus it doesn't work, but unless you put an extraordinary amount of power through it, it should be fine once you reverse it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I never said the resistor got damaged, the led burnt out because I had no resistors on line, but luckily one of the led's was backwards the first time I tried it.... so one burnt out and since the other was backwards it didnt get damaged I then bought the resistors, replaced the burnt outand backwards led and connected a resistor to the + side of the led's......its working fine now.

G

·

Has anyone ever put an LED in the sunroof button, I took mine apart since it looked like the doors ones, but something looked missing, so I held off

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts

Yes, it can be done. The plastic housings are the same, you just have to run another wire it ( which can be a pain with the interconnect ) and mount the LED inside. Someone did it before. I looked at it and thought about it but decided it wasn't worth the hastle.

G

·

Well you said the same thing with the blinking alarm LED, But since I did it I think it looks neat, when you start it up looks nice cause it stayes on for awhile, and it is so bright I can see it blinking though my 5% tint in rear window. But I guess it depends on how much you bought your LED's for. I got mine for 50 cents a piece, so I didn't mind putting them on anything I could. Anyway with the sunroof switch it would be little to much hastle running all that wire for the switch you are very right on that, I rather try making an auto feature on it like our drs window, I know I read that on here somehow, they took a relay or whatever out of a junked coug

·
Registered
206 Posts

so back on the rear defogger switch.....anyone got a pic of the final product....as to where everything gets soldered in at ? i'd hate to think i knew what i was doing and then have the puff of smoke thing going...... :cover: even a little mini how to would work great...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I love the smell of led's in the morning (changing led's in rear defroster button) fixed with pics/diagram

hey thanks denn....

yikes...that already tells me i bought the wrong resistors just by looking....back to the store....thanks again!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.