New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let's look back since Fest.....

I hope you enjoy my story.
The week before I replaced all 4 pads and rotors. So I ask for rotors for a car with 15" wheels. We go to replace the pads and the bleeder screws broke off the calipers. So we call Autozone for calipers. They ask are they 26-something mm or are they 278mm. We tell them it's for 15" wheels so the smaller size. It's all kinda blurry to me now, but in the end, someone put a bigger brake kit on the car. Either that or it didn't originally come with 15's. I Carfaxed this car before and it was a fleet car. I don't know who's taking the time to change all that on a company vehicle, but whatever. So I ended up spending $270 on new calipers and rotors.
Also at the same time, the driver side lower control arm needed replaced. After the nightmare Jeff and Slade had, no way was anyone but my dad touching it. **Fun fact - there is one bolt that needs to be taken out of the LCA, but the tranny sits right on the head of it. So you need to spend $5 at the dealership to get that bolt cuz you need to cut the other one to get it out. When replacing, install the bolt from the bottom up so you don't have to deal with that again. Slade bought the LCA for me and my dad installed it so it only cost me $5 for the bolt.

It's been determined that my suspension is wasted. 105k miles I should think so. The strut mounts sat a good 1/2" above the stut tower! So good ol' George hooked me up with some KYB's and H&R's. $449 + $9 for the credit card fee + $80 for 4 all new mounts. Slade and George said they would install those for me, but Slade's done enough spring installs that he hates it and Ohio has done enough, so I didn't want to bother anyone. Last Thursday $320 later at Brian's brother's shop and they're installed! Not to mention that it was discovered my passenger side LCA is bad. Below is a before and after comparison. Personally I can't tell the difference :shrug:

Taken today (Monday 4 days after install)

Friday my battery light had been coming on any time I touched the accelerator. I asked Andy's opinion and he said alternator issues, but I was in denial and didn't listen. After work I headed up to Sarah's neighborhood (way the f*ck out east) and got tattooed. 1 mile from the exit I lost my radio, lights, and my gauges pegged out. I had a red light at the end of the ramp so I was praying the car wouldn't stall. I make it thru the green, around the corner, and just barely into a gas station and put it in park. By the time I dialed Slade and he answered, everything came back to life. It was the weirdest thing. Diagnostic mode said it was charging at 14-15 amps. So I thought nothing of it. So I make it 500' down the street to the tattoo place where I pay them $110 + $28 tip to endure the worst pain I've ever had. I love it though.

I almost passed out, managed thru it, and got back to the car where everything was fine. I'm coming home to meet my mom for her birthday dinner and I'm headed around Dead Man's Curve (for you out of towners, it'd be I guess almost a 70* turn in the highway). Here's a pic of the sign warning you. Couldn't find an actual pic of the curve.

Going into the turn is when my car decided to die. I lost everything again only this time I didn't get anything back. All the places in Cleveland for this thing to die and this is the worst place to be. I was in the left lane and there was no way I was making it across 4 lanes of traffic. So I ended up in a non-existant shoulder next to concrete barriers. You pretty much had to get in the driver side NASCAR style. See below.

I'm hyperventilating and manage to call Slade and he gets out of work. He gets to the car, checks some stuff, then a tow truck guy stops. He says $45 to tow it to where him and his dad are building that house. So we leave it there. Saturday we go to a wedding in Columbus, then Sunday him and my dad fix the car. Freaking dead alternator. When Andy says "And I'm not uber-smart - I've just had a lot of first-hand experience " don't listen. He diagnosed me before we all knew what was up. So $185 later and thanks to Slade, my dad, and Ed across the street, I've got a new Autozone alternator.
Then last nite after the alternator is fixed, my new gauges are sticking for the 3rd time since Slade installed them at Fest. So he gets in there and all of a sudden, nothing works. No needles, no fuel/temp gauges, and no clock. After fiddling with that, my dad finds that the white connector in the back of the cluster is messed up. Apparently that's one of those things that you can't be taking on and off constantly because the pins inside will screw up. So he moved some pins around and now everything is getting contact and working.

300 - pads and rotors and calipers
005 - LCA bolt
449 - springs and struts
009 - Credit card fee
080 - strut mounts
320 - strut/spring install
000 - Slade payed for tow
<u>185 - alternator</u>
$1348.00 GRAND TOTAL

Keep in mind that this is all since July 23rd. It doesn't include 4 new or tires passenger side LCA. I wanted to share my story whether you read it and care or not. I've sunk so much money into this damn thing, but I should probably expect it. Judging by Slade and Sare, looks like I may have 25k more miles until my tranny goes? Yeesssssssss.

I hope you've enjoyed my story as much as I enjoyed telling it. I've never gotten towed before so that was exciting! If you're having a bad day, read this and feel better.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
holy $H!T I don't have time now I'll comment when I get home from work HOLY $H!T!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Holy cow!!! Sorry to hear about the pain of the cougar!!

So about 125 k for the new tranny?? That's about 20k more on mine... hopefully Jeff's truck will be paid of soon to replace my car next and let the next owner deal with that :)

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,977 Posts
Yep; like I said, it comes in waves. HOPEFULLY after this rash of trouble, you can enjoy it for a while. I know I wanted to push my car off a bridge a while back, but I trudged through, and I'm glad I did. Even driving around with a CEL about 90% of the time, I do love the thing. My red-headed step-child.

Hang in there, Diane! And if you ever need help - EVEN THOUGH we've done our share of suspension jobs this summer - please get in touch. There's no reason to get raped by a shop for something we can all pitch in and do for free, and have a good time hanging out while doing it. That's why we're here! We all share and share alike.

·
5,339 Posts
Dee-aam!
I saw the pic of the Coug and the barrier before reading the text, and thought you'd kissed the concrete!

Ouch. I sort of, kind of, feel your pain (the $$ pain, not the needle pain, ouch again) since this week was $800 worth of new tie rod ends and water pumps on the Tempo. But at least I wasn't on the side of the road waiting for the next semi to take me out.

So sorry to hear your tale of trouble :(

On the other hand, you're Ok, and now you're lowered! And the Cougar should handle beautifully again :)

Wow...

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
wow! im SO sorry to hear about that diane! but you should definatly be good for a while. atleast i hope so. and im glad to hear you are the car are still in one piece after all those adventures.

oh, and the tattoo looks sweet!!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the support! The good thing is that I find the humor in it all. If you don't laugh at your delapitated Cougar, you'll go crazy. All of us can relate to a majority of the same troubles so that's cool.

Andy thanks for the offer. It just so happened that my computer at work crashed and they had it for 2 days so there was no reason for me to go to work. So I told them I wasn't coming in and opted to get the car worked on. Then went home and watched Godzilla: Final Wars. A good watch for any 'Zilla fan in case you were wondering.

Dan that kinda makes me feel better.

Thanks Aaron. I'm sure the ink will be well worth it once it stops hrting like a mother. I hope all is well and I got the Autozone alternator this time. Well worth the $169 for a [limited] lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the problems Diane. That really sucks, but I reall like your tatoo. It looks awesome:thumbsup:

·
Registered
586 Posts
maybe your car will drive striaghter too lol, i remember how bad it was crabbing on the way home from fest

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.