New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this issue. I've blown like 6 30amp blower motor fuses. And the problem is intermittnet. I have replaced the blower motor resistor. Which was bad. The blower motor. The switch and everything but the harness which I can't find any flaws and the relays. I'm lost here.

·
5,237 Posts
I thought the blower motor fuse was a 40 A fuse? I pulled mine literally two weeks ago to swap into my Fusion in order to diagnose a blown blower motor fuse in that vehicle. You sure you're putting the right fuse rating back in ?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The under hood one is 40 but the one in the cabin is a 30. It's returned to not popping fuses again...I have no idea what's going on or what I do to fix or break it. It's done this with 2 different blower motors, 3 different sets of controls, 3 different resistors. I'm out of ideas.

·
5,237 Posts
Ah... cabin fuse panel. Gotcha. Intermittent, and you've replace motor, control, resistor, and relay? Gotta be harness then, only thing left. :( Hard to test if it's intermittent though, when diagnosing my Fusion, it was every single time the blower motor was activated immediate fuse pop, so diagnose by pulling connectors and seeing where it stopped popping (was motor speed controller). But intermittent? That's a tough one. All the harness and connectors look good from the outside?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah... cabin fuse panel. Gotcha. Intermittent, and you've replace motor, control, resistor, and relay? Gotta be harness then, only thing left. :( Hard to test if it's intermittent though, when diagnosing my Fusion, it was every single time the blower motor was activated immediate fuse pop, so diagnose by pulling connectors and seeing where it stopped popping (was motor speed controller). But intermittent? That's a tough one. All the harness and connectors look good from the outside?
I couldn't find anywhere on the harness that looked bad. The only thing i want to do is find the grounds and make sure they are secure but the wires themselves look good. On the bright side i replaced all the lights in the cabin with led's and i can see my guages again at night for the first time in ages. I also replaced the needles because they stopped glowing at night its pretty great.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Fuses blow from overcurrent, not open circuit...so your ground is probably fine. Look for areas of rubbing that might be causing a short. If theres no indications on the outside of the harness, next step is to unwrap the harness and inspect the individual wires.

·
5,237 Posts
Do you have a wiring diagram? If there any connectors, you can try disconnecting them and see when the fuse stops blowing, to narrow down the area of the harness you need to examine. Those diagrams also point out the locations of the splices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts