New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2002 cougar I was down in Oklahoma on my way back to Kansas and I got a pothole pretty hard and it killed the car and wouldn’t fire up after that I have checked fuses and my fuel pump kill switch replaced pcm and I’m not getting power to fuel pump either can any one give me some ideas

·
8,492 Posts
Sounds like you need to start checking wiring. I'd start at the fuel pump kill switch and see if you have power on both sides of it. If you do, then you know the power issue is between the switch and the pump. If there's power going into the switch and not out, the switch is bad. And if there's no power going to the switch, then you know the problem is in the wiring to the switch. It could also be a bad fuel pump relay in the underhood fuse panel...I think these have one there (check owner's manual), and that would be another good place to check for power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heard of this before ever tried taking the battery out putting it back in might of set of emergency system so car can’t start after accident

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Why did you replace the PCM? Surely you must have other indications or other data points to share that led you to that?
Did you replace your RFID chip to match the new PCM?
Electrical diagrams are priceless when trying to find electrical problems. Ours are pretty readily available on ebay, highly recommend getting a book and starting with paper troubleshooting. A mechanical shock to your car could have damaged anything from the battery cables to the battery junction box, a relay, a safety switch, or who knows what else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts