New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2001 Mercury Cougar 2.0 4 Cylinder with 5 speed manual, previous owner told me that there was a problem with the sunroof that it was not opening, I start working on other things that were more important than the sun roof, last week I started working with it, when I took the motor out I found that problem was that plastic gear that rotates the mechanism for the sunroof to open was broken I tried to glue it but it broke more, I been trying to find my sunroof motor on the internet but the one that shows up is not the one that I got. the one that pops up has a relay, a connector and the switch is in the left side of the dome light that has map light mine does not have map lights. Does someone knows where I can find my specific motor?
Camera lens Gadget Bicycle part Cameras & optics Electrical wiring

Hood Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Cable Wire
Jaw Gear Gas Wood Bottle cap

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,045 Posts
That’s an aftermarket sunroof. You’re on your own with that, LOL

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,045 Posts
Depends; the shape would have to match exactly. I would be skeptical.

·
Registered
15 Posts
frankly id have one machined (pricey) or 3d scanned and 3d printed in nylon or try to find the gear online. Also possible to find that motor assembly online via # cant be that many companies that did aftermarket for these cars. autotek makes speakers now.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I bought a used 2001 Mercury Cougar 2.0 4 Cylinder with 5 speed manual, previous owner told me that there was a problem with the sunroof that it was not opening, I start working on other things that were more important than the sun roof, last week I started working with it, when I took the motor out I found that problem was that plastic gear that rotates the mechanism for the sunroof to open was broken I tried to glue it but it broke more, I been trying to find my sunroof motor on the internet but the one that shows up is not the one that I got. the one that pops up has a relay, a connector and the switch is in the left side of the dome light that has map light mine does not have map lights. Does someone knows where I can find my specific motor? View attachment 82700
View attachment 82699 View attachment 82701
See if you can find any part numbers on the sunroof and the motor. Alls I see it AutoTek. There should be a service tag on it somewhere. That would lead us in the right direction on finding parts for it.

I highly doubt that a factory cougar sunroof will fit it there. Your Cougar probably came with out one and someone got the aftermarket one installed, so since it’s not factory then the answer is no. Besides some of the factory sunroofs have issues with the tracks breaking anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts