New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my brother in law were messing around on some back roads, kinda curvy and he was trying to keep up behind me and couldn't do it. I had too much acceleration after the curves and had better handling of my car. We are about the same as far as driving abilities so I am gonna say it was the Mtx that I got that beat him. Another notch on the belt

·
Registered
204 Posts
i love v-6 stangs. my girl has one(96', automatic, convertible)
i must say, my car will beat it on a straight. i must say, i will DESTROY her in the corners. hey spanky, you might be right saying his bro-in-law did not want to risk his life in the corners. those are the worst cars for handling and driving in wet conditions. i get yelled at sometimes trying to drive my gf's car like my car. anyways, they are fun to race(makes competition a little more even for us 2.0 guys) and good kill.

·
Ur one.....
6,752 Posts
rwd and curves. i'd say he wasn't trying.............it would get loose in the turns and he would have hurt himself.

M

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many times do I have to say that he WAS trying but couldn't keep up?? Why do you guys find it so hard to believe?? The car just didn't handle the curves as good as mine and since he had a ATX he couldn't accelerate after them enough to keep up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i've raced a v6 mustang from a stop and won.. barely.. but i won.. its not impossible.. its sad to see that even v6 cougars that have and can be beat by our 4 bangers still underestimate us... we were both MTX too he had flowmasters but tahts the only mod he had.. i have whatever i have listed on the bottom of this reply.. i had him off the start and he was catching up to me but not fast enough to pass me before the quarter..

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Cougar..............Mustang

FWD..................RWD
125 HP..............150HP
130 TQ..............215TQ
2861 LBS...........3077 LBS

The cougar is 216 pounds lighter... Racing from a roll - I think it would be pretty even... Through twisties - I think the Cougar would take it. From a stop though - you just can't overcome an extra 85TQ. The I4 would get embarassed from a stop against a V6 Mustang. Just my opinion... based on the facts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
actually i got atleast a 1 car length off the jump.. he stayed spinnin in first gear =D.. another and he short shifted from 2nd to 3rd.. he's not a real good driver either.. i guess i should've mentioned that hahaha... oh well us 4 bangers have to take them as they come and i won soooo im gonna take the win.. vin diesel " it doesnt matter if u win by an inch or a mile.. winning is winning" lmao

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I dont know about you guys, but apparently Myself and a select few actually like to Drive our cars. And by god the cougar will outhandle a mustang..v6 or v8 mtx ot atx any day. Especially an I4 cougar.

You cant just spit out Stats and expect to know what car is all about. Go out and really drive your cougar...oh wait. Dont your too afraid.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Originally posted by: GrandMasterKhan
I dont know about you guys, but apparently Myself and a select few actually like to Drive our cars. And by god the cougar will outhandle a mustang..v6 or v8 mtx ot atx any day. Especially an I4 cougar.

You cant just spit out Stats and expect to know what car is all about. Go out and really drive your cougar...oh wait. Dont your too afraid.

Shutup

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree GMK. I try to get everything I can from my Cougar without destroying her. And Balla2K5 if you don't like what is being said in my post you don't have to read it. Thank you, please drive through, and have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Right... Im getting tired of all the bashing on the I4 cougars. Most of you have never ridden.driven in one and have no idea how they are. Most of the people bashing them say, oh I have 2 more cylinders I must be faster right? Well not always so. Its not just about peak power and such but how it is delivered and depending on the driver. I know for sure that the i4 cougar in stock form can detroy a v6 cougar in handling. And in stock form, power isnt too much different. Sure you can mod duratecs to be beast, (Ive rode in and drove some of them.) But most people on here arent taking zetecs to the full level.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Handling is better because the weight division front to back is closer to 50/50. Also, overall weight is lower by like 200 lbs. Not a lot but it helps.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Yeah my dad has a v6 mtx cougar, handling is still great but its not near as responsive as mine.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I dont know about you guys, but apparently Myself and a select few actually like to Drive our cars. And by god the cougar will outhandle a mustang..v6 or v8 mtx ot atx any day. Especially an I4 cougar. You cant just spit out Stats and expect to know what car is all about. Go out and really drive your cougar...oh wait. Dont your too afraid.
I used to think that when I only had my cougar... but let me tell you, my Mustang with stock tires and it's stock suspension can easily outhandle my Cougar. I couldn't believe it at first (I was scared to take turns fast when I first got it). But, those wide-ass tires simply have more grip, the stock sway bars are thicker, and the stock suspension has much stiffer spring rates. Plus, it's RWD and has a 55/45 weight distribution vs. FWD and 63/37 in my Cougar.

And my Cougar is no slouch when it comes to handling either - it has 225/45/17 Yoko AVS Sports, Eibach Pro-Kit springs, ST200 struts, and front and rear strut tower braces... but it simply runs out of grip way before my Mustang does.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Go out and really drive your cougar...oh wait. Dont your too afraid.

Just out of curiosity... Have you gone out and "really driven" a V6 Mustang? This argument is valid only if you have experience with both cars. Then - of course you could tell which is faster. I never said that the mustang could out handle the cougar. I actually stated that I thought it would beat the mustang in the turns. But from a dead stop... 85TQ more? That is a heck of a lot to overcome.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i've raced mustang automatics...i beat them off the line but at speeds around 90 or so he was passin me....around 100 he was crushin me....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts