New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!
I know, this question is asked 100x per day but i somehow never find the answer i wanted. I have Mondeo ST200 2.5 and I would want 3.0 Hybrid - i already have spare 2.5 engine so there is the opurnity and parts for hybrid. On our side of the ocean, there arent that many of Taurus's or Escape's engines but lot of ST220 (they want so much money for these engines!! I was told price from 1500 up to 2500 Euro for just an engine!) so i am looking for some alternatives. If i would need only the block for my build, could i use Jaguar X-type, S-type or Mazda 6? I know they use VVT, so they use different electronics/heads but isnt the block same with Taurus or Escape? I couldnt find anyone who did it with jag engine but they shouldnt be so different? - the whole reason is, i can buy whole working engine from X-type for just 500 Euro.

·
Administrator
11,733 Posts
IIRC You will need to block off the oil passages that are found on the VVT blocks and use a different head gasket.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
My impression is that we don't really know if the VVT blocks are the same or not. Every time somebody thinks about trying it they either scrap the project or source a non-VVT. You could try to import a 3.0 block and pistons from North America.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cost of the shipping would kill me probably :D. I will keep looking for Taurus or Escape/Mazda Tribute. Just got offer for Mazda Tribute engine with bad head gasket, which would be good but i am little worried it could be warped block from possible overheating .. this will be my first big project about engines so i am little scared.

One more question - which for sure someone already asked and solved - It doesnt matter if the 3.0 block is from automatic transmission am i right? MTX75 will still bolt straight on?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,979 Posts
There is a metal bushing pressed into the back end of the crankshaft on the automatic car, but you can't have that with a manual transmission. So if you get a block from an automatic, you have to remove the bushing from the crank in order to mount up a manual trans.

But the block itself is no different between the two.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
VVT is a worse engine IMO, you could throw it in and leave the VVT crap unplugged. Can't hybrid it easy without plugging stuff. Just messy no matter how you do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts