New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any one tell me what the hp and torque handling capacity of both of these item cause i have looked at the torsen on the fordraceingparts web page it says 304hp but nothing on torque and i cant find any thing on the quaife.

can some one please help!!!:banghead:

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,814 Posts
Pretty sure they are about the same either way.

The Torsen reportedly has a slightly better torque-biasing action, but the Quaife has a lifetime guarantee...

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
The torque Bias on the Quaife is a 2:1 and it's a 3:1 on the Torsen...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Most ppl here don't know me nowadays but... I used to wrench on the world challenge cougar Leo Capaldi raced. The torque number your motor produces isn't quite as significant as the torque produced after the gearing. The force exerted on the driveline is usually highest on launch and depends on launch style and clutch characteristics. The world challenge car had a 5" 3 or 4 plate clutch... i dont remember. Think of it as stage 5 its a full race clutch. There is no slip what-so-ever. Its on or off. The thing was neigh impossible to drive around to move it (unless Leo did it). Idle was set at around 1800 rpm and the races began with a standing start. Leos car put down more power then some of the turbo cars on this board and it was NA. The car couldn't turn for beans but the BMW guys (M3 engine) used to ask Leo for a "tow" on the straights in qualifieing because it had so much power. All that power down low broke several(20+) transmissions, axles, hubs.... etc etc etc. Until you break all those things and have replacements manufactured I dont think you need to worry about the LSD.

You'll have to read between the lines on this one, he ran both LSD's at various times. The car was sponsored by a few diffrent entities with interest in such things.

What I can say is...

The quaife never broke.

Ha... I just noticed what you said about 304hp.... wonder where they got that number :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
David, don't scare me as I plan on racing the car again next year. YEEEEKS 20+ gearboxes, etc....

In my RX7, making close to 300HP I only replaced the box twice in 8 years. Is there a substantial difference between the Capaldi car and the Mumm Bros car? John Dipchand has been running that car for a few years and doesn't seem to have any reliability issues. He just burns off the front tires and slides nose first off the track, LOL. The Dipchand car is bullet fast in a straight line though.

We are allowed to use diffusers and I was planning on adding some rear aero to counter the high speed push and I was planning to mostly run the car at Mosport where it ran very well and we don't use standing starts.

So what I can take from your comments is that I have a rocket fast, glass lawn dart:rofl:. Is that about it????

Hmmmmmm..... 304 hp. That seems to work with what I have heard from other sources, not the Capaldi's who have been understated, gentlemen and great to work with.

Thanks

Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts