New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a nice clean look on my car, and i hate the look of the ugly faded black plastic piece next to my fender. I want to "shave" this or mold it in with my fender like ive seen some other people. How is this little tab held into place? Is it bolted to the car, or fender? How exactly would i go about molding/shaving it in? Fill in the void area with duraglass and then light body filler for the low spots? Is this the right way to go about this? I want to make sure before i actually start working on it. Once i did mold it together, If i ever needed to take the fender off, would this piece interfere like them being joined together?

Also on my body modding escapade, ive found so many more things to do now that im starting to work on my car now, but im going to keep it all in the dark and reveal it at one time when im finished :biggrin:.

Advice, would be appreciated right now too.

Attachments

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
That tab is held in by 2 plastic prong like things... you should be able to just pop it off with a flat head screwdriver. About fill it in, shouldn't be too hard and NO it will not interfer with removal of the fender in the future.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

EDIT: I don't know why I said prongs but there just SNAPPED it :cool:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
hey..dont just fill in the gap with duraglass....not a good idea...id first use some ***** hair or preferably use some fiberglass mat and resin..then go over it with some duraglass if needed or body filler and finish it with some metal glaze..metal glaze is very easy 2 sand and usually doesnt have as many pinholes if 2 much hardner is added..

p.s...whenever doing body work..u SHOULD....only use up to an 1/8th inch think of filler....u want the substrate (part your working on) 2 be as close to back 2 normal as possible..... even 1/4 is way 2 much...ive seen ppl acutally use 6 inches...its pathetic... just some info for ya

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ah ok, i was looking at it today, and the tab clips into the fender. that makes sense, i didnt realize at the time i posted it that i did clip into the fender itself... it just happens to be that all the tabs broke when i took them out, so currently they are off the car. I figured to get this done, i will use Fusor 147 and bond them to the metal, and since the gap is very small- at the most 1/8 of an inch, i will use duraglass to fill in the low spots. Thanks for the advice so far.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
please do not use Fusor 147 for that.. your gonna have the same problems that Hotcat and myself have with our frenched handles in weather changes... they keep expanding and contracting but not cracking.. its irritating to say the least... I'd recommend you filling the void in with fusor 100EZ or welding in a small piece of metal to shave it (if your fenders are stock OEM metal) and then doing light bodywork over it.

I'm not a fan of bonding plastic to metal with Fusor 147 - (metal to metal and metal to fiberglass is ok - but plastic to metal or urethayne to plastic is a big no from my experiences - even plastic to plastic)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.