New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
well... you cant hear it, or if you can, it sounds like S**T. thats the easiest way. it'll also smell/smoke when it blows usually. but yea, it just plain old dont work right.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If you push on the cone and you hear scratching from the coil, thats not good. Or if the cone does not move freely.
And smell it- best tactic, you never know how good something is untill you smell it...the subwoofer....ok back on track.
The stink of electrical burns is a sign of coil damage.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by: Lukydogg
If you push on the cone and you hear scratching from the coil, thats not good. Or if the cone does not move freely.
And smell it- best tactic, you never know how good something is untill you smell it...the subwoofer....ok back on track.
The stink of electrical burns is a sign of coil damage.
Well its blown then :(

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
when i had 2 much power 2 my jl 10 before, that thing was rock solid. my friend punched it and hurt his hand.

·
Registered
158 Posts
the 100% way to check is get an ohms meter...... put pos to pos and neg to neg from the meter to the sub.... push on the cone once or twice and let it come to rest..... if its good it should read about 4 ohms (for a 4 ohm sub) if not, then its blown

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
my friend had two lightning audio subs (got 'em for free with a RF amp), and one of them is kid of sucked in towards the box. You can push it in a little and it makes a loud scratching noise. Pretty odd tho, like something was reversed and it just got sucked inward.

Mike

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
my friend had two lightning audio subs (got 'em for free with a RF amp), and one of them is kid of sucked in towards the box. You can push it in a little and it makes a loud scratching noise. Pretty odd tho, like something was reversed and it just got sucked inward.

Mike
That sounds like coil damage. The voice coil may be bent around the pole in the motor structure, that is caused by a loose magnet or stressing the cone past the x-max.

In other words is screwed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.