New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok maybe it is just me but I had no clue our cars had an alarm. All I thought it had was that hey thing that you had to have the key with the chip to start it....o but no it doesn't.....it's got an annoying beeping one too!!!

Ok this is how you "test" it.

1. Break out your window... (not reccomended) ...or jsut role the window down...(recommended)
2. Lock the car useing you keyless locking system!
3. Reach in and unlock it maunually...you know the button thing under than handle...or just open it from the inside and BEEP BEEP FLASH FLASH..........it's going nuts !!!!!!!!

Not sure on how to disarm it...I just hit a bunh of buttons each time I set it off.

Kinda cool if you ask me!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
i put my key in and unlocked to turn it of i found that out 300 in the morning

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah, if you sit in the car when it is turned off and locked and open the door without pressing the unlock button first it goes off. I found that out a few days after I bought my coug. My bf went into the grocery store while I waited in the car. He took forever so I opened the door and BEEP BEEP! It took me forever to figure out how to turn it off. The grocery boy thought I was nuts.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL I love it....I think thats very cool! That it comes with an alarm....enuff for me anyway!

G

·
Prez.. another good method is: I wanted to see how warped my hood was after my accident.. so I pulled up on a corner.. and BEEP BEEP FLASH FLASH! :biggrin:

Darth.. you were the simple victim of the Mercury Cougar 5 second Anti-Passive Theft Device. :) When the car is off and the door is closed.. it turns on (the blinking thing on the dash) after, I believe, it's 5 seconds.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had the alarm go off on me the day after my dealership tried to sell me a factory alarm for $600. They told me that the car didn't have one already! I now have 2 alarms, one is an aftermarket alarm. My factory alarm works by using my key in the door and never goes off anymore.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Only 1 things sets it off, that I've noticed.
If I park with the windows down and lock it with the keypad and then try to open the door with the interior handle it'll go nuts.
I couldn't figure it out for the longest time...:shrug:

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
i set my alarm off by opening my trunk with the key at 4 am in a state park while camping with peopel sleeping in every lot near me, took about 5 mintues to figure out how to turn it off too

G

·
Yup, you can set it off by doing the window down, open door thing, Also if you open the trunk with the doors locked with the key it will go off, and if you got an auto starter, like i do, you have to unlock your doors befor you start it or beep beep flash flash it goes. Not good because the remote starter works at a greater distance than the remote locks so i have to leave my car unlocked alot in the winter.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
thats odd, i have a remote starter in my car and i have no trouble starting it up on a cold morning when the doors are locked...

G

·
Darth.. you were the simple victim of the Mercury Cougar 5 second Anti-Passive Theft Device. When the car is off and the door is closed.. it turns on (the blinking thing on the dash) after, I believe, it's 5 seconds.
The night we brought our car home, the alarm wasn't arming itself the way the dealer said it should, so I grabbed the fancy book they gave us and tried to figure out why the directional lights weren't flashing when the doors were locked with the remote.... It turns out that if a door or the trunk is not closed tight enough, the alarm won't arm... The light on the dash that flashes when the car is turned off is tied in to the coded key.... It lets you know the system is working properly... When you start the car with a coded key, the red light will stop blinking and go solid for about 3 to 5 seconds if the system is operating properly..... Of course the dealer explained absolutely none of this to us....

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no you must have keyless entry to have the alarm..the red light is for the ignition thing that is stored in your key.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
A week after I got my car I bought a Viper system. Mine came with the factory keyless entry, but it was kinda cheap and didn't have some of the good features. My friend's saturn has the "built in alarm" which sounds like what we have. Is it really a car alarm, or just a deterant. Meaning does it just make sound and flash lights or does it actually kill your ignition and do other things? People can just cut certain wires and the alarm is disconnected. Not saying any aftermarkets systems are 100x better, if someone wants your car bad enough it will be stolen, no matter what you have. You just want to deter the common theives.

G

·
I think we are talking about two different things here. There is the 1) ignition disable and 2) car alarm.

The ignition disable is on all Cougars, I believe, and automatically turns itself on a few seconds after you take the key out of the ignition so that no one can start the car without the properly coded key. This is signified by the flashing red light on the center control panel.

The car alarm is only in the Cougars with keyless entry. You activate it by locking the doors and it is confirmed by the front & back lights flashing once. It will only get set off if you try to open the door without using your keychain to unlock the doors first (so, if someone smashes out your window or wraps a coat hanger thru the window to unlock the door, the horns should start blaring and lights flashing). I think it's a fairly lame "alarm", and it doesn't work worth a lick if someone decides to just smash out your window and grab your CDs or bag in the car and leave, but I don't think any alarm will truly make your car safe from this.

G

·
I bought a used 99 cougar. It only came w/ 1 key. No key pad or anything, but the factory alarm is on it. It goes off when locked door is opened and when trunk is opened when locked. Was there a keyless entry pad w/ alarm button? How do i find out?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Head down to your dealler and get one..it might cost a few bucks but..it will be worth it.

G

·
So, you are saying that it is probably equipped with a keypad.
I just have to go to the dealer and buy one.
What would they have to do for it to work?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts