New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please type up a detailed how-to on installing lowering springs from start to finish? I would greatly appreciate it! Everything I found in a search just gave bits and pieces - and since I have never messed with the suspension of a car before I don't feel comfortable starting the job with the info that I have. Thank you very much!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't really have time to do a detailed how to but........here are some pointers.

They come out much easier than they go in, so don't think you're God and take them all out at once, work around in a circle so you have some sense of accomplishment.

Use a jack and a 2x4 while trying to get the strut back in the knuckle. The 2x4 should be about 12-18 inches long......get 2 or 3 because I split it several times. Once it's even with the knuckle, use a crowbar, hammer, or the handle of the jack to pry the strut into the knuckle.

Have mechanics gloves (saves some of those baby smooth hands)

Impact guns are good, but can f-up your day bad when you break your tie rod end and can't drive it till you get it fixed. (I did not have to remove my tie rod, but did)

Get the BEST strut spring compressor you can find. (Advanced Auto Parts, 30 bills, even has a nice spot for a 1/2" air impact wrench so you don't have to f-around with a different size socket) It will take several years off your life when you have a spring shoot off of a compressor.....I've seen 3 shoot so far (we then got a better compressor)

WD-40 helps but will not save your life. If you have a bolt which is frozen then I strongly recommend taking it to a shop, if you continue and break it then you could be in severe trouble when you finish and <u>try</u> to drive it to a shop to get a new bolt in.

allocate A LOT of time for it. I lowered an accord in 2.5 hours.....the cougar took exponentially longer, do not expect to be setting a record here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.