New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading past threads I've come to the conclusion that I have the " mooseing" problem and need to change my idle air control valve. I was just wondering if anyone has replaced it themselves and if so could you tell me how?
Thanks

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
Unhook negative battery cable. Unplug the wiring harness on the end of the IAC valve. Remove the 2 bolts (or nuts, I can't remember which) that hold it on (not real easy, since it's so close to the firewall, but doable with a little patience and flexibility). Pull it off, and stick the new one on (making sure to replace the gasket, too). Tighten bolts, and plug in harness. Reconnect battery cable.

Voila! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i have that prob too
where can i get one cheap
will ford replace it if i ***** enough

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
I bought an SVT-spec IACV from a guy on the board who was parting out an SVT Contour motor I think he charged me $35 or so. Ford charges about twice that.

They won't replace it for free.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Just do the throttle hang mod. Costs you .35

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
Unhook negative battery cable. Unplug the wiring harness on the end of the IAC valve. Remove the 2 bolts (or nuts, I can't remember which) that hold it on (not real easy, since it's so close to the firewall, but doable with a little patience and flexibility). Pull it off, and stick the new one on (making sure to replace the gasket, too). Tighten bolts, and plug in harness. Reconnect battery cable.

Voila! Good luck.
yea i got mine today and going to attempt install tommorrow
yea it close to the firewall

any tips on doing it

what tools did you use

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
Hmmm, just a 1/4" drive ratchet and also a wrench for the bottom bolt. It just takes a little time because you can only make tiny turns of the bolt. You'll do fine...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm installing mine right now, hope it works cause it's really annoying and embarrasing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Works like a charm. :biggrin: It's nice to be able to start your car and not have it yell at you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts