New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS this do-able by myself? or do I NEED a shop? my have the Ford racing wires and Bosch plugs.....my factory ones are almost done, cuz my car is almost 100,000km....any help?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Some people have done it with just an extension. Personally, I would tell you to remove the upper intake manifold. That way you can go ahead and clean your upper and lower at the same time. That is what I did, and let me tell you, getting to the rear bank is easy as pie with the upper removed. Also getting to where the wires plug into, is easy with the upper removed....I can't imagine getting to it with the upper in place.

All in all it took me a few hours, mostly screwing around, to remove my upper and TB, cleaning them and my lower off, changeed out plugs and wires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnx man, is there any special tools you need? or anything to be careful of?? I don't want to screw up my engine man.....kinda scared to touch that part of my car...you know, don't put it back probably, my girl will kick my my ass....

·
Registered
440 Posts
You can change the plugs without the hassel and expense of removing the upper intake manifold.
You do however need a good 6-12" extension for your socket, and do need to remove the coil pack (4) 7mm bolts and you can get to the back plugs just fine.

I've replaced my plugs 2 times and did it on avg in one hour taking my time

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I did my plugs and wires within a few hours the first time. I was moving slow making sure that I didn't screw anything up. It really isn't that hard, just make sure you know where the wires plug into before removing anything. I made a little diagram (made me feel better, my memory sucks) It isn't very difficult, just take your time. Good Luck.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I just did this a couple weeks ago. It isnt very hard at all. I didnt take the uim out either. You just need an extension, and a gaper for the plugs. Unless the plugs are already gaped right. Took about 20 minutes, and it was freezing outside and dark. I just couldnt wait.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
See, a lot of people have done it without removing the upper. I just think it is well worth the time to go ahead and do it, and clean it out while it's off. Mine was cruddy as hell, some elbow grease and some TB cleaner did the trick. :)

Just to comment on one thing, removing the upper and cleaning it is not that much of an expense. It cost me a total of $10 for all the gaskets, and .59 cents for a new bolt that I broke myself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Observation - from these messages I get the feeling that you all changes your plugs more frequently than the manual say's 100,000 Miles - am I correct in that ????:biggrin: if so when you do change them do you notice an improvement???

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I changed mine at about 43k, the plugs were gapped out a little. I only noticed that the throttle hang seemed to be less...but that could also be due to cleaning out my upper and lower intake manifolds. Also engine seemed to respond a tiny but quicker...snappier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what do you guys mean "Gapped" out? sorri dudes, IM not very familiar with these technical terms....

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Oh, that is just a term I used....I don't even know if it's the right term. My stock plugs were gapped too wide, which would normally mean they were in the car too long. But they are supposed to be 100k mile plugs, and I changed them at around 45k.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The plugs have to be gapped right. That is, the distance in between the spark plug. The distance should be under your hood on a sticker. There is a little tool that will make sure your plugs are gapped the right distance apart. They usually come a little to close, I think, and then you use the tool to seperate it a little. Not hard.

I think some plugs come pre-gapped so you dont have to do this though. Just read the box they come in.

·
Registered
63 Posts
hey Fett.. i was wondering you mentioned replacing gaskets.. how many, what size, and where do i get them.. also you just used tb cleaner on the tb and the uim right?? thanks

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Originally posted by: StevetheJaguar
Observation - from these messages I get the feeling that you all changes your plugs more frequently than the manual say's 100,000 Miles - am I correct in that ????:biggrin: if so when you do change them do you notice an improvement???
hehe the manual says to do lots of things...and nowhere does it say anything about 'modding' hehe.

how you drive your car will have a direct effect on your plugs...drive it hard and they will wear out quicker. drive like grandma and they will last 100k.

AND YES!!! Clean that UIM and LIM!!! i cannot express how dirty the UIM and LIM get even after 35000 miles my car had on it when i installed my SVTUIM and LIM.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I cant believe this thread had a year gap in posts and now its back

How come it didnt get archived?

Anyway, gap is also in the manual, but on mine only in metric = 1.3mm, which is .054 for us.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Can someone go into detail how to change the wires and spark plugs. think someone was saying something like 3-2-1 and 6-5-4. need help doing tomorrow.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Reading this makes me want to go out and clean the manifold on mine. It has 42000 onit and I try to keep it serviced as much as possible. I also changed the plugs without removing the manifold or the distr. cap. Just took a long extension to do so. If someone could maybe get me started on the cleaning process though I'd appreciate it though. God Bless....Jamie

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Blessed-Do a search on Seafoam and check it out in the 2.5 Performance Section.

kaptser76- that number order listed there refers to how the wires plug into the coil pack. If you were to take a piece of paper and over lay onto the coil pack that would exactly wha it looked like.

Looking into the engine bay from the front of the car, the order would go like this:

Coil Pack-
4-6-5
3-2-1

Engine-
3-2-1
4-5-6

Crap! I took like 20 minutes doing a sketch and it won't format right :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts