New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How To: Replace DPFE Sensor.

My CEL was on due to an EGR Valve error. After replacing the EGR valve, the light was still on so today I replaced the DPFE sensor. Everything is running perfectly now. The job was fairly simple. I did this from start to finish in about 1/2 hour. Here are the details:

These are the tools that I used. They are:

1) 12" Extension
2 and 3) Small Extensions
4) 1/4" Adaptor
5) Swivel Socket
6) 8mm Socket
7) A Wrench

This is the box so you can see the manufacturer and part number. I bought mine at AutoZone for $53. It's alot better than the $260 that the dealership wanted to charge me!

This is a close up of the new DPFE sensor.

The sensor is located underneath the EGR valve. I have circled the location in the picture. Remove the curved hose to the right of the circle for easier access to the DPFE sensor.

Once you have the hose disconnected, you will be able to see the sensor. Here is a close up. The hose that was disconnected is on the upper right of the picture. Disconnect the plug that has the arrow by it, as well as the two hoses that are in the box.

The sensor is held in place by two bolts. There is one on each side. They are kinda tough to get to, so here is where the extensions and swivel come in to play. I used a combination of the extensions in the first picture, with the swivel and 8mm socket on the end. Here is a picture of the angle that I used to get to them.

Once the two bolts are removed, the DPFE sensor just pulls out and is replaced with the new one. Put the two bolts back in, and hook the two hoses and plug back up. That's it!!!

Edit: to make sticky ~01blkcat

Attachments

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
RE:How To: Replace DPFE Sensor.

nice how-to! What are the noticeable signs of needing to replace either the valve or the sensor?

Mike

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

You get a CEL. Mine was "EGR valve insuffucient flow." I guess there is a "too much flow" code too. Most of the time when you get this code, the problem isn't the EGR valve, but the DPFE sensor.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
RE: How To: Replace DPFE Sensor.

Yeah, I've got the EXACT same problem.. EGR Insufficient flow, and EGR Excessive flow.. You're getting pretty handy there Zex! I gotta drop by your place so you can help me with all the stuff I wanna do with my car!

·
Registered
674 Posts

if you're real good at takin the Upper intake manifold off (like me) the sensor is a lot easier to get to. I could get the UIM off and back on in about 25 min, but you say you did the whole thing in 30 nuts :(

·
Registered
4,973 Posts

yea I was just looking at this thing yesterday, it's tucked away real good under there. If it were me i'd just say screw it and take off the UIM, i've done it enough times.

Mike

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I do admit that it would be a lot easier if the UIM was removed! Getting under it is pretty hard - especially when you are hooking up the two hoses... But it can be done without removing it, and it actually wasn't that hard.

·
Registered
404 Posts
They must have changed it for the 2001 and 2002 cougars. Mine was plastic. It didn't even have bolts that needed to be removed. All I had to do was un-hook the wire connection and pull the sensor off the two rubber hoses. If I hadn't dropped the new one down into the engine compartment it would have only taken me 5 minutes. By the way I was able to reach mine from the top by standing on the passenger side of the car I'm tall so it might now work for shorter people.

Great job on the how to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got questions. Where is the EGR valve. Don't laugh. I don't know much about anythin, but i'm always learnin. I see the box with the EGR valve on it in your pics. But i took my car to Goodyear and he said my engine light was on because of the DPFE sensor. What's what. Is it all together. Where can i get the DPFE sensor.

·
Registered
161 Posts
its a error code P1406 DPFE Sensor Downstream Hose off or plugged.. Its making my idle go up and down then when i stop it get to low of an idle and makes it shake. What can i do?? Has anyone had this problem?? where can i find this hose? i hear it but cant see it.

Ok well it was late but i went out and took a look, everything was connected. Can i just unhook the sensor cable and start it up or will it cause more problems? pinched the hoses seemed fine, can i just unhook the hoses and start the car to see if its sucking? i really dont want to mess it up but i cant afford to have some1 else fix it. thanks

·
Registered
3,696 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
:confused:How do I replace an IMRC sensor for a 2001 cougar v6 2.5L engine?????

Also, can I get the IMRC sensor for cheaper at auto zone???? Or should I get this from the dealership?

no such thing as an imrc sensor. there is an imrc unit and its most likely a ford only item.

one word on the dpfe sensor. the newer ford sensors are plastic because the metal ones would corrode and fail. also these cars are often sensitive to aftermarket sensor so one might want to consider going oem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.