New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me how to remove the automatic shift knob? I'm having problems!

R

·
0 Posts
I would tell you how I did it but then you would end up with a detached shifter and no OD, so I will keep my mouth shut :) Long story..lol

S

·
0 Posts
You have to remove a bolt on the shifter (use a small tork driver) pull up apply force but don’t yank you might pull out the OD wires and that is not good, by the way do not take it all the way off, when it comes loose use a flat head to lift up the face plate. Now if you need to remove the face plate (here is the part that you may want to think about this is just what I choose to do but do it on your own risk) cut the over drive wires leave about 2.5 inches of wire to the connector I used a piece of tape to mark the inside wire so I would put it back right ok now you can lift off the handle and remove the faceplate. Do what you need to do and reverse the steps I used some butt connectors from radio shack 18-22 gauge to connect the wires again then rapped them with electrical tape fasten everything down and your good to go again by the way when you strip the wire be very gentle you don’t want to take off any wire just the plastic cover. If your not comfortable stripping wire get some one who is. if you have any more questions PM me.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason why I need the shift knob removed, is to put over the carbon fiber dash piece on the plastic plate...Sigh..it seems harder than I thought!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts