New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pioneer DEH-P6400 & DEH-P640 Faceplate Relocation

This DIY will explain how to make your Pioneer DEH-P6400/P640 CD-Player work with the faceplate removed. This will then allow you to mount your faceplate in one location, and your cd-player body (aka headunit) in another location. This is appreciated in show cars, usually scoring people more points for a “custom install”. But, more functionally, this will allow people to mount their faceplate in areas where mounting the entire headunit & faceplate is not feasible due to size. For example, you may wish to have your cd-player in your ceiling console, but cannot because there is not enough room for the headunit. But, you have lots of room for just the faceplate. Get the idea?

Supplies Needed:
- CAT5 Network Cable (2)
- Double Female-port CAT5 Network Cable Connectors
- Solder and solder gun
- On/Off Switch and extra wire
- Small Screwdriver (Philips)

Take your desired length of Network Cable and cut one of the ends off leaving one long piece and one short piece that is approximately 4-5” long.

CAT5 Cable has 8 wires per cable, and the Pioneer DEH-P6400/P640 has 12 pins in total. Therefore you will need 2 CAT5 Cables and just don’t use 4 out of the 16 total wires.

Solder the pins on the faceplate and headunit, connecting each together using Network Cable (CAT5). Solder the short cut end to the headunit, and the long cut end to the faceplate. Eventually, you will connect the two male-port ends together via double-female-port Network Cable Connectors (CAT5). Remove the covers on the faceplate and the headunit, exposing the root of the pins. Solder the pins together in a way that the solder does not go directly on the main connection pins that the faceplate uses to connect to the headunit. So in the worse case scenario, just unsolder the wires and the original connection pins will remain untouched and it (should) work like normal again.

Now that everything is soldered together, re-install the covers back on the faceplate and headunit. When you go to connect the two male-port ends together using the double female-port connectors, notice how the colors on the wires do not match up. This is because when you cut the Network Cable into two pieces and turn them around on each other, you reverse the order of the wires. Your cd-player will not work unless you reverse the wires inside the double female-port connectors. This will then align the wires back on track and your cd-player will come to life. So, there is still more soldering to do. *groan* I know.

In order for the faceplate to function, you have to keep the button that is on the front of the headunit pushed in. This will trick the headunit to thinking the faceplate is still attached. You could also take the cd-player apart and short the circuit that controls this switch. But if you don’t feel safe doing something like this, then I suggest you don’t. Just tape the switch down somehow.

When the faceplate is receiving power, the headunit thinks the faceplate is still attached, so it will not eject any discs. With the Pioneer DEH-P6400/P640, the pin that will disconnect the power from the headunit to the faceplate is Pin #2 on the Bottom Row counting from left to right on the headunit. If you connect a switch to the wire connecting the faceplate and headunit together on that specific pin, you will be able to eject the CD. In short, when everything is setup and running and you want to eject a CD, you will flick the switch “off” (making the faceplate go dead and the headunit light-up) and you can then hit the eject button on the headunit and eject the CD. I know, a 2-step process, but at least it will work.

Here is a list of the headunit pins, and their known function, in case you might need it:

Top Row:
#1 - ?
#2 - Controls the green lights (sometimes blue in other models) on the station preset buttons.
#3 - ?
#4 - ?
#5 - Controls graphic display changes.
#6 - ?
Bottom Row:
#1 - Controls all lights EXCEPT the display.
#2 – EJECT PIN!
#3 - Controls Display ON/OFF.
#4 - ?
#5 - Volume Control.
#6 - ?

Here is a list of the wires (on the back of the DEH-P6400/P640) and what they are for:

WHITE = left front speaker positive
WHITE/BLACK = left front speaker negative
GREEN = left rear speaker positive
GREEN/BLACK = left rear speaker negative
GREY = right front speaker positive
GREY/BLACK = right front speaker negative
VIOLET = right rear speaker positive
VIOLET/BLACK = right rear speaker negative
YELLOW = to terminal always supplied with power
RED = to terminal controlled by ignition switch
BLACK = chassis ground
BLUE/WHITE = to system control of power amp or power antenna
ORANGE/WHITE = to lighting switch terminal.
YELLOW/BLACK = Connect to the Audio Mute lead on a cellular telephone adapter. If no phone, do not connect.

I hope this How-To helps people in this faceplate relocation task. It is very involved, but if you take your time, it will work.

Goodluck!
Darrell.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Thats friggen sweet... but imo who'd want two gray cables hanging out the front of their deck?... the idea is great tho, great how to

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can dress the headunit up with a plexi-glass enclosure that will cover everything up. I'll post more pics when that is done, but it will look nice :)

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the finished product. It took me a while to posts these pics, sorry. I finished it the beginning of July.

I will be dressing up the plexiglass headunit enclosure with black vinyl, then placing a white Pioneer vinyl logo overtop. It looks a little messy with all the wires showing. The enclosure has holes drilled into it, and 2 computer fans (that glow blue) attached to the top. I was afraid things would get too hot in there.

Overall, everything worked perfectly as planned. This is one of my most favorite mods. I hope this how-to can be used by others.

Cheers!
Darrell.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
ohhh very nice now im tempted to do this one ;)

damn my list just keeps getting longer and longer ....

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Damn, IDK how I missed this the first time around. Probably came up during my "hiatus" I took for a couple months a while back.

Something I think we could integrate in with this is using a CD Changer. Use a deck that controls the CD Changer, then hide the headunit somewhere (glovebox, under the seat, or something). That way you don't have a "faceless" headunit sitting there. Then to play CD's, you jsut use the changer, not the headunit.

I'm also curious about how you mounted the headunit. How much trimming is needed to put it in the overhead console? And how difficult is it to swap a "base package" console with the "sport package" console, like that one?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah I was gonna use the stock cd changer. I got the cables and everything I just don't know how I'm gonna mount it. It'd be cool if you could detach the faceplate from the overhead console and just pop it back on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.