New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may or may not know, after you install the BAT Camber/Caster kit, your OMP (or any orther brand) strut tower bar will no longer fit.
I just finished completing this install, so here is how it was done:

1. Remove your OMP Front Strut Tower Bar from your strut towers and remove the 2 end plates.

2. Bring the 2 end plates to a machine shop and tell them to bore out the holes to a diameter of 82mm.

3. Reassemble OMP bar and bring it to a Powder Blaster to strip the bar, then bring it to a Powder Coat Painter to repaint the bar to whatever color you want.

4. Reinstall the OMP bar back onto the strut towers.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, so far it has only cost me $10 (Canadian) for the machine shop because I haven't gotten it painted yet. I'm getting it painted next week and will post how much it cost me then.

Darrell.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I tired to get my STB re-powder coated, only to find out that there is NO ONE in my province that does this sort of thing.

Can you believe that??? :(

Anyways, I had some guy tell me that I could have it painted with some sort of "acrylic" paint that would be good enough. What does everyone think about that?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Originally posted by: gamiller
alternatively, pull the rubber off from around the plates that sit on top. they should fit just fine.
Wouldn't that cause a rattle to occur? I have a question about how tightly do your camber caps sit on the tower, mine are pretty loose I can move them around with just one finger, now if they are ment to be loose why can't you install the OMP FSTB and then place the caps on over it? I think it you would make a tighter fit then....or am I just fool of crap?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
no, you're right. the nuts don't hold the caps in place. they just make sure that the strut won't fall out of the strut tower when you catch air. ;)

·
Registered
949 Posts
well I just installed the strut bar underneath the caps and it works just fine, no problem what-so-ever.....so I guess you don't need to grind these things out then.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just found this old thread in a search I just did... figured I would update this, seeing as I said I would. I found someone afterwards that does powdercoating in my area and it cost me $40 to get the OMP FSTB re-powdercoated. So, total cost would be $50CND. Even though you might be able to "get away" with installing the bar overtop the top plates, I'd still do it this way if I had my time back. Feels like it's the correct way to do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.