New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on installing my own fibreglass body kit (except for paint probably). There are not many places where I live that do this kind of work, and I enjoy hands on things. The following steps are what I gathered on how to install one, although I'm not sure if they are exactly right or not. I was hoping people could read this and give me more input. Thanks.

Step:
1) Place each piece of the body kit up against the car to make sure it will fit properly. If not fitting properly, adjust accordingly.
2)If each piece fits, then sand down area on car where the kit will be. Use "3M panel bonding adhesive" and place body kit pieces carefully onto car.
3)Leave the fibreglass kit on the car unpainted for 1 week, allowing the pieces to settle properly.
4)Mask off car and paint bodykit pieces.
5)Run a small bead of urathane (sp?) between the lip of the kit pieces and the car body.

I'm not sure if the above steps are correct or not and would appreciate any feedback from members letting me know if it is right or not?

I have searched the web for any info. on this topic, but have not had that much luck!

Thank you ;)

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
i could be wrong but im not sure about sanding the car.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I don't think you sand the vehicle either. What if you want or need to take the kit off later? More painting!! I have never heard of that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts