New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would I prevent the moonroof from breaking on my 01 Cougar?

I know its a common problem due to the plastic parts and its apparently expensive to repair...
I dont want to be stuck in that corner, how do I prevent it breaking (while still being able to use it in the summer and what not).

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Thats what I thought... but I was talking to Ron (excelcier) who went through the break...and he said theres some kind of plastic thingy (technical term :tongue: ) that is the culprit - when it breaks, it prevents the sunroof from closing, and its on all cougars regardless of metal tracks (for 99's at least)

Cause I had metal tracks... and was pretty much told by a few people at Hamillfest that it didn't matter :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't use the sunroof - take no chances ( ha ha ha)! I got a good used one off ebay a while back - replaced it myself - and saved much moola - total was about $220 - I only tried it to see it work - and it does - I tested it again later - never use it while driving - I guess the wind pressure is part of the problem - plus of course the weight of the sunroof itself - thats my best advice - save it for selling the car and warn buyer - its just for looks and thats it!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't use the sunroof - take no chances ( ha ha ha)! I got a good used one off ebay a while back - replaced it myself - and saved much moola - total was about $220 - I only tried it to see it work - and it does - I tested it again later - never use it while driving - I guess the wind pressure is part of the problem - plus of course the weight of the sunroof itself - thats my best advice - save it for selling the car and warn buyer - its just for looks and thats it!!
why didnt you just replace the plastic parts with metal parts right before you installed it? :confused:

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
The failure point is not always the tracks, but a small resin gear. This is not a part they can make metal, and it fails constantly -- totally stripping itself and causing issues just like the bad tracks.

I had a metal track roof that failed, so I dissected it to find small plastic-like shards all over inside.

E1

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The failure point is not always the tracks, but a small resin gear. This is not a part they can make metal, and it fails constantly -- totally stripping itself and causing issues just like the bad tracks.

I had a metal track roof that failed, so I dissected it to find small plastic-like shards all over inside.

E1
So lubing it wont help?

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts

E1
++

That's how mine went. Was closing my sunroof one day and heard "CRACK".

Dissected it and found one of the resin-cast "legs" on the sunroof went bye bye.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree, once i get mine replaced im NEVER opening it again! haha too scared!

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Honestly, what E1 said is right, I had a busted plastic track, replaced it with a metal track and the part that broke on the plastic track is also still plastic on the metal ones. Quite simply, our sunroofs are an a$$ design... if you don't want it to break, stop using it. Direct and to the point!

I replaced mine, opened it once to make sure it works, then closed it. Never to be opened again. I'm thinking about pulling the fuse to avoid accidentally opening it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts