New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody give a how to for the painting the taillight covers. I plan on painting them black. Is the sequence: prime, black paint, and clearcoat? And what type of paint would you guys suggest? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Sand with 1000 grit sand paper, then sandable primer, then sand again, then paint, then clear coat.

I would think that as long as it's glossy black, it will work fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
easiest way

take taillight covers to local bodyshop
give them paint code
pick up next day and pay 50-75 dollars
it looks perfect.

hard way

buy sandpaper, sandable flex primer
flex paint for car
lots of mess and screw ups
pay 100-200

;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i agree with you mprtklr. just take it to the body shop and let them do it. It would be easy and a lot cheaper than spend a lot of your time in doing it, beside it wouldn't be good if you don't do it right.

Jimmii

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Crispy

Have you ever try to paint anything in your car, cause i try to buy some paint in my area, San Jose California, but it cost about two-three hundred for just a pint without spray. if you have any info on how to get it cheaper "Laser Red (HL)" please let me know.

thanks

Jimmii

[email protected]

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Laser Red is a two coat process, it's not one solid color. Crispy has painted just about every thing on her car, I am not sure what color she used, but you should try some paint stores.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Actually Laser Red is a tri-coat color (3 step process) you can buy it in spray cans but it will cost alot as well (see link)

I've never tried the 1 coat Laser Red that they list on there.. that might work as well seeing that our touch up paint from ford is like that and somehow it matches exactly...

Click here... your paint code is HL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts