New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some of this done...I want that "chrome" look, so ideas and tips please :)

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,978 Posts
Blackcoog polishes them. PM that dude...

You can't get the chrome look with paint. That's asking for it.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
There is a powder coat called, "almost chrome". It is about as close as you are going to find without actually chroming it. One thing to consider is if that particular powder coat can hold up to the temperatures under the hood.
Then there is polishing which Blackcoog can do as a service for you. The only problem with that is the UIM is aluminum. Aluminum requires polishing every so often to keep its luster.

·
Registered
364 Posts
if all else fails, get em dipped.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
how did you paint it while still on? what kinda paint? high temp engine paint?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
engine enamel....I just covered everything that I didn't want to paint, and then just sprayed away. After it dried I touched up the small areas I missed with a brush, can't even tell the difference.

Mike

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
On a side note I just realized where your avatar is from. Where's Bruce Leroy? Who the master?

·
Registered
364 Posts
yeah, you'll prolly wind up payin' a decent chunk, but it's possible. i dunno how well it would hold up against the temp though. but if it was strictly a "show" car, you wouldn't have to worry about the temps that much.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I really don't think that the engine temp is anything to be concerned about when getting it dipped in chrome. My exhaust tips are chrome. I have seen some chrome valve covers and chrome engines on Harley's. I don't see heat being a reason to deter from having the UIM dipped.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: mindtrip1016
I really don't think that the engine temp is anything to be concerned about when getting it dipped in chrome. My exhaust tips are chrome. I have seen some chrome valve covers and chrome engines on Harley's. I don't see heat being a reason to deter from having the UIM dipped.
Didn't think of that way -- good point!

Hehehe... 1000th post! :biggrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.