New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got my Vtech head light covers, I was wonderin how do you paint those plastic things?? to achieve best smooth surface??
Any painters please advice me with detailed steps...such as how many times to sand, what primers to use, the order of these steps....thnx

·
Registered
933 Posts
From what I've seen and read on the site, the majority of people take them to a body shop and get them professionally done. I've don't have them yet though, so I couldn't tell you how to do them yourself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really forsure there is a how to file on this somewhere on this site with pictures. I don't know if it's still around though. What you need to do is tape off the area in which you don't want paint and just sand down the rest then prime. I belive that is all there is too it. Don't take my word for it though. See if you can find that how to. Or somebody will eventually get on here and tell you for sure.sorry couldn't help more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But I also heard that when painting plastic surfaces, such as the Vtech light covers and the dash board, you are not suppose to sand it down? if you do, you'll have a rough surface, because you are actually scrabing off the plastic....someone told me you are suppose to "wet sanded" or "use a special primer for plastic which doesn't require sanding..."any inputs?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I painted my taillight covers I just used a really fine grit sandpaper to start off, then used some sandable primer and sanded it with a even finer grit sandpaper, then painted them and they look fine... I would post pics, but it's dark here now. I'm assuming the headlight and taillight covers are made from the same plasic material.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts