New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

2001 Laser Red V6 ATX
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another one... Edge is in the shop for an expensive repair, so Cougar is pressed into service for short kid hauling to taekwondo class, etc. Trying to prep a bit since she's been neglected lately, popped hood, closed hood, but the inside release handle is loose, the cable is not pulling it back. Cable attached to release, so not broken at the release handle.

Q: How to open hood when it's latched, and the inner release won't do it? Can I access from underneath after removing splash guard?

Thanks for any insight.

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
Just speculating, I would say yes. It’s in front of the radiator.

· Premium Member
4,858 Posts
I know I found a way to do it but I don't remember what it was. I sort of feel like I might have had to unbolt the latch.
Step one is spray the crap out of the latch with your favorite lubricant in hopes that the bind is in the latch and not the cable.

2001 Laser Red V6 ATX
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Edge came back a lot quicker than expected, though it was just as expensive as expected. So I'll give the hood a shot, hopefully this weekend, when I work on the front end links. Time to give the Cougar some attention.

· Registered
24 Posts
This happened to me also. I I remember correctly I was able to unbolt the latch from the core support from underneath. What happened in my case was the cable came out of the latch,like a clip or something that would keep the cable in the latch roached out. I took a lead fishing sinker and formed a "wedge" that fits the notch where the cable slides into the latch. I added some epoxy for good measure. So far it's holding out for a year now..

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
Mark - if you find the cable or latch is damaged, I have the ones that came out of the track car just sitting around here; yours if you need 'em.

2001 Laser Red V6 ATX
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark - if you find the cable or latch is damaged, I have the ones that came out of the track car just sitting around here; yours if you need 'em.
Thanks, Andy.
Easy to ignore the old girl when your two "new" cars are daily dependent. Kinda sucked when one of those is out of commission and you realize you've been ignoring the old girl.

· Marge & GulfCat survived Hurricane Ian
424 Posts
You might also be able to reach up from driverside wheel well... I think that's how GMK got to my cable when we were caravanning home from a CF.
My solution to having lost a guide for the cable was zip-ties at front of engine bay & on driver's side of engine bay. I thought they'd be a temporary fix, but I think it's been at least 15 years & my hood still opens. o_O

Reactions: LinkMan
1 - 8 of 8 Posts