New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how i can change the colors of all the lights on my dash and instrument panel? i'm wanting to make every light inside red. please help!!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Welcome to the club. :)

So far I have changed the color of my headlight knob, but that's about it. I am also working on changing everything red.

The LED lights are supposedly easy to change as well, a lot of Cougar owners have already done it. Basically you go to radioshack.com and order red T-1 LED lights, snip out your old ones and put the new ones in. There was a how-to on them, but the page is down. Doing that you can change your door lock and window buttons, the light behind the rear defroster button, thr hatch release button...I think that's it.

The AC controls are not easy, I have an extra set that I have been playing with and so far no luck.

I will do a how to on the headlight knob in a while.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might be wrong (I haven't done it myself), but I think to change the LED light on the door locks/window controls, you just need to use a knife or small screwdriver, wedge it into the button, and pop it out. You might want to PM Crispy about it. I think she's changed some of the LED's in her car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, if anyone have a page of how to...it would be nice...cause i like to change it in my car too.

Jimmii

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Let me take a few pics, and I will make a quick how-to. There is a wicked detailed webpage with the how to, but it has been down the past few weeks. Hopefully mine will work until that page is back up...give me a few minutes.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I was looking at the A/C controls when I was driving around. On mine, there is a piece of semi-flexable, green clear plastic. I was thinking you could cut that piece or remove it some how and maybe use cellophane (sp?) paper and hot glue it to it? It might not be sturdy enough but it's a thought.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Nope, not that easy. I have an extra set of AC controls that I was playing around with, trying to figure out how to change them. If you take the controls apart, you will see that the plastic part that covers the lights is actually a tranparent/white peice of plastic, with a three ply sticker on top. The three ply sticker is basically a clear coat, then a black coat that has the icons cut out, then the last layer is green, which provides the glow. The lights behind the plastic are clear, so it is the green layer that gives it the glow you see.

Unfortunatly, you can NOT remove the sticker without ruining it. You would have to go in from behind and remove the green that way....unfortunatly, that is impossible. I even tried using my dremel kit to dremel away the plastic from behind the sticker, hoping that I could peel off the green, just over the icon cut outs, but that won't work either, because then you will have nothing to hold the sticker on.

I have been in talks with Black Cat Customs to see if they can make a complete cover sticker, complete with the icons and all three layers. They would need my set of AC controls first, so I have to take mine apart and send them to BCC. I have also been talking to two sign shops and a custom shop in my area to see if they can do something, but again I need to give them my controls to play with. Hopefully we will have an answer in a few weeks.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Oops, I forgot to post the images...so you can see what I am talking about.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
YEAH!!!! No more relying on my memory to do this!!!

actually, only have one left to do when motivation hits me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fett,

Are the new gauges in the XR the same? I noticed when looking at some interior shots that they had redone the ac cluster faces, and i was wondering if their methodology is the same.

Maybe we can get an XR guinea pig to help out? :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I want to get purple LEDs, but they aren't listed in the "how to". Does anyone know where I can order purple LEDs?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good luck finding purple LED's.

I had a hard time even finding blue ones that were bright enough to look respectable.

·
Registered
224 Posts
where did you find blue ones?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts