New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will explain what is needed to make Indiglo Needles. See the how to for gauge cluster and needle removal and replacement! There are two key things you need to make this work.

1. Gauge needles off a 89-94 Nissan 240 SX ( I paid $40 for the whole 240 guage cluster. No bone yard will sell you "just" the needles so just get the whole gauge cluster) A great resource to find them would be Car-Part.com Most places that have gauge clusters do not list them. I would suggest searching for bone yards that have interior parts for 89-94 240 Sx and asking them if they have the gauge clusters.

2. Import Intelligence Indiglo Needle Kit ($70). Can be purchased directly from Import Intelligence at Import Intelligence or from the reseller I bought mine through at Import Car Parts Plus. They come in blue, green, and red.

Once you get the gauge cluster (240 sx) you will need to remove the needles. These needles are a bit more delicate than our stock needles so be carefull when removing them. The 240 sx needles dont come off no where near as easily as our stock ones. When I removed my needles 3 out of 4 needles the pin came out as well! The best way to get the needles off I found is with using 2 spoons to pry the needles up. Once you have all 4 needles removed, it's time to remove the Cougar gauge cluster. Remove the stock needles. It's not nessicary, but in order to keep the needles the true color they are (red,blue,green) you will need to remove the gauge cluster light bulb that lights up the stock needles. If not, the gauge cluster when lit up will lighten the color of the needles with the white light it projects through them.

Gently press the 240 sx gauge needles onto the pins. You will notice the 2 large needles are a perfect fit. The 2 smaller ones however, are a bit too long and will require trimming. I used a pair of wire cutters to do the trimming. The plastic is soft and wire cutters do a good job. Trim the small needles SLOWLY to the needed size. With each cut, I then placed the needle onto the gauge cluster to see how much more I needed to trim. Once the small needles are trimmed to size, it's time to install the Indiglo needle kit you purchased!

Before you install the Indiglo kit I would advise testing the unit. To do so you will need a 12 volt source. You can hook it up to your car battery terminals or the battery from a 12 volt drill will work too.

The first thing you will need to do is remove the gauge face. The Indiglo kit wires are VERY FRAGILE so be careful when handling it! There are 4 adhesive circles with led's on them. The circles with 3 led's are for the large needles and the single led circles are for the small needles. Place the adhesive circles led's facing up around the needle pin's. Once all 4 are into place you will need to route the "fragile" wires on the backlighting plate (clear plastic) to where they will not be seen when you put the gauge face back on. You do not need to worry about the wires touching each other as they are insulated, allthough they do not appear to be;). With the led circles in place under the gauge face and the wires routed, make sure the led's are visable through the holes in the gauge face where the needles are placed. Now would be a good time to "temporarly" put on the needles and test the Indiglo kit led's to insure no adjustements of the led circles need made. Remove the needles once done testing. Now it's time to re-install the gauge cluster! Refrence the how to for installing new gauge faces. Keep in mind you will need to set the needles position once you have the cluster plugged back in. I think there is a how to for that as well. If not I'll try and create one.

You will now need to decide where to wire power for the Indiglo Kit. The best way to go is probably wire it into the fuse box. You could also splice power from somewhere as well (Headunit or dimmer switch). Mind you I have not hard wired the kit into my Cougar yet so keep in mind these are just idea's.

Thats it! Enjoy!:biggrin:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Few things I should mention...

1. Be sure and use black elecrtical tape and cover the circle holes in your gauge overlay. This will prevent the white light from the gauge cluster from shining through the needle's and dilluting the color. For instance, if you used blue led's the light from the gauge cluster would turn it purple.

2. For a power source for the led's you can splice into the headlight switch (red wire w/blue stripe) for your positive and the black wire from the bulb right next to the headlight switch. This way, when you turn your headlight's on the led's come on with them.

3. If you have a C2 Cougar than it is *NOT* nessicary to change out your needles as they are clear. Everyone else with the stock red needles must change out the needles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts