New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How To install: Trip Computer 3mm LED (Pics) Also Simplied Switch How to

I Just finished with my 4th successful 3mm LED install in the Trip Computer. I took pics along the way which hopefully will be helpful to anyone attempting this mod.

Please Post feedback and any questions you may have!

Here are the tools you will need for the install. Note I used a Dremel Screw driver tool. You may use a jewelers screw driver which should work quite well. Once you have soldered an LED into place I recommend you nudge it slightly to ensure the solder is strong. Its better the solder breaks now while your switch is apart than later while driving down the road. Remember dont force anything! Gentle Pressure is best.

First use your screw driver to wedge open the casing of the trip computer. I chose to wedge open the side with only 1 clip. Then simply kept opening it until the other 2 clips released.

Now gently wedge the Circuit Board from the backing

Remove the OEM LEDs. A gentle twist in each direction will loosen them. This will leave a metal contact to which you can solder.

Widen the holes for each LED. I recommend to widen them just enough so that the 3mm will slide down into the hole until they are mounting deep and they should appear just about flush on the side which you will be soldering(as shown in diagram below) This will help greatly as the LEDs will remain in place as you solder.

Now you notice the LEDs stick up a bit off the back of the circuit board. So long as your LEDs are mounted flush into the holes they rear cover of the tripcomputer will fit no problem (*edited: used to require drilling... how to has changed to reflect a better installation process)

Bend the LED leads so they wrap around as shown here. Cut the leads so that the leads terminate right where they will touch the oem LED contacts. Then Solder the LEDs into place. Note wiring diagram. Red + idicated the postive solder point. (hint. If you look inside the LED you will see what appears to be an arrow. This arrow Points to the positive lead of the LED)

Now, you should shave the small 'nip' on the 3rd peg. In the picture it is shown smooth. If it is not totally smooth this 'nip' will push the LEDs out of place. You will need to shorten each one of these pegs by about 1-2mm. Resassmeble as shown below.

Reassemble the Trip Computer. Make sure all the buttons click as they should. And your done! If the buttons do not click repeat the above step and shave the pegs down by a Very Small amount, little by little, until everything reassembles nicely and all the buttons click and illuminate properly. DO NOT force the buttons...if they dont click then the pegs are pressing directly against the LEDs. Force it and you will break your solders.

My interior. LEDs in every swtich. est 23 leds in total.

SWITCH HOW TO

Now for an easy way to open up a switch!

Use a thin Jewlers screwdriver and pry off the top of the switch lightly. if you have 2 screw drivers and can apply even pressure to both side you will be golden. The switch cover is like a SeeSaw...so what you are doing is unclipping the 2 center posts, allowing the switch cover to be removed.

Since the switch is in an UpRight Posistion there is no chance of loosing the copper contacts. I highly recommend you be careful that they do not get lost. remove them and put them in a dish out of the way. You can easily reinsert them with a needle nose pilars 'nip' facing down.

You will now have access to the LED. Cut it out. Leaving the OEM resistor and enough wire on each end so you can solder to it. Notice that the OEM led holder has 4 'nips' which hold the oem led. A typical 3mm led is too wide to fit. So simply trim the 2 triangle 'nips' so that they now match the other 2. Bend LED leads as shown and trim where needed. Now it will hold a 3mm led snugly and you may solder the led in. A fine tip soldering iron is needed.

Now trim the switch housing as shown.

Reassmble the swtich, making sure the copper contacts are still there with the 'nip' facing downwards. Click the switch in both directions to make sure it works! Your good to go!

here is are completed switches installed. Note: in person they will appear just as bright in a vivid blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
713 Posts
RE:How To install: Trip Computer 3mm LED (Pics) Also Simplied Switch How to

Looks good Kenny, thanks for showing me and others the easy way to take apart those door switches, I've always done it the old way of taking that whole top part off, this looks much much easier.

Z (jason)

·
Banned
3,229 Posts

Or you could just use 0805 Surface Mount chip LED's and save yourself all the cutting of the trip computer. They are the same as the oem ones and are bright. I use these on my phone mods and they look great. Nice how-to also.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

That is true. However the 3mm LEDs I use are 3000mcd+ for $1. Available in White, Blue, Amber, Green, UV, Red and others and will work Excellent in swtiches and provide amazing vivid color.

The 0805 surface mount leds may be easier to install but are only (blue)45MCD* for $1.20 or (white)140MCD at the most for $3.* These work great in thin Cell Phones, but the trip computer has a good 1" of room inside it and lots of parts for the light to pass through, hence why 3000mcd leds work so well. This is even true for the switches as the white plastic filters the light. (check image of switch cover in hand) 45mcd is bright...but 3000mcd is blinding. So you want a high MCD rating in order to not loose too much light as it passes through the switch cover. 3000mcd ends up being PERFECT. I could not Imagin anything less. eekk 45mcd probably would not be any brighter than stock.

In comparasion my the 3mm Leds I use, may be used as a flashlight or neons. I am working on making foglights using my 5000mcd white leds. People used to try and cram 1000mcd 5mm leds in there switches to achive less of an effect my 3mm 3000mcd leds provide.

The 0805 surface mount LCDs would be great for changing the leds in your OEM CD Player however! I tried my 3000mcd LEDs and they where way too bright for the LCD screen, where as low MCD 0805 leds would evenly spread the light on things such as a CellPhone or LCD screens like in the OEM stereo.

BTW MCD = the light output rating. Higher is brighter.

* = GSM Tech. A site which sells 8505 LEDs.

I can order SMT 8505 surface mount LEDs 45MCD for use in overhead Idiot Lights. I recommed them here because the Idiot Lights do not have a thick white plastic cover which lesses the light output, instead it is clear. I had to tint my 3000mcd leds because they lit up the rear seats like Bright Neons and where blinding to look at.

I also found 8505 LEDs on ebay. But they only had a rating of 27MCD!

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yeah the white and the green 3mm leds are usually 5000mcd or so. Which is great because white needs to be a bit brighter to make up for the lack of color.

Any pics of your white switches?

·
Registered
207 Posts

I did all my interior blue also, But I most say that is an great how to.( I wish i had when I did mine) You can tell you really spent alot of time on it. This well come in handy when I see "how do i changed the color of my door buttons?"

Tim

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts

ken, those photos are priceless. I just wish I had the ones of the door switch BEFORE I smashed mine up (I didnt realize when you told to seperate the top part, that you only meant the top plate, not the top half, well it was a lession learned).

looking pretty sweet though. Tim, I'd love to see the comparision with your whites. Personally I'm leaning towards the whites.

~Tj

·
Registered
2,637 Posts

omg thanks kenny for postin this, finally some one was able to answer my question with pics as well, ill probably do this part of the mod this weekend.
also i can get pics of my white LEDs in my door switches if you would like

·
Registered
2,539 Posts

my hero!

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts

Thank you. Finally someone who did that and took it one step further than simply my explanations. Maybe people will stop asking now.

It's kinda interesting how you approached it from a slightly different approach than I did it, but hey, it works too! I didn't have the backs of the LEDs sticking up so that I had to melt the back of the plastic so they'd fit. I pushed the LED's in flush with the PCB, but hey... thumbs up!

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks Excelsior!

I used 3mm leds. Which is why they stick out so. Mounting them flush (which would cause the led to stick through the other side of the board) would cause the clear pastic thing to push on them, ultimatly causing the solder to break. :shrug:

Did you perhaps use a different size led?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts

No I also used 3mm LEDs. I pushed them through the holes I also made bigger on the PCB until the back was flush with the PCB and then soldered the legs to the old SMT pads. This causes the front of the LEDs to stick out too far so to compensate, I trimmed the clear plastic "light pipes" that were crashing into the LEDs until it fit perfectly. Just a different approach with the same result, that's all.

·
Registered
942 Posts

GrandMasterKhan, your interior lighting is so f-ing sweet!!:bowdown: Thats EXACTLY how I want mine to look but I'm too much of a puss to even attempt to try something like that. Not to mention I don't have any of the tools or skill to take on a project like that. Would you consider doing that for someone for a fee if they shipped you the switches?

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

MobilBoy,

Thanks man, I think the LED mod is one of my favorite. I get lots of compliments on them.

Its a pretty easy mod, but if you would like me to do it for you I wouldnt mind at all. I can get them done pretty quick too. I have PMed you with some more detailed info.

·
Banned
1,329 Posts

yeah dude,, GMK is like only person i would trust with my stuff, he has a college degree in leds LOL

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts

Without ANY disrespect to GMK as he's a great guy and a friend, but, I was actually the first and only for a long time to have accomplished this one and still hold the record for the most interior LEDs / electronics.

And FYI, I put out the major tutorial on LEDS....

·
Registered
305 Posts

who has all tried this how to from the diagram provided? My friend and i both tried it tonight with the provided diagram and f-ed up our trip computers. we tried multiple ways and double checked many times to make sure we got it right and still nothing worked. Feedback on the diagram would much be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.