New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok! i've looked around for how to remove the stock front bumper - thats all good, now the next part.

Installing the new bumper - i've searched the boards, found nothing... so hopefully you guys can help me out :)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
okay, you've got the front bumper removal done. take the stock brackets off of the side of the stock bumper and drill holes in the dragon z in the same place. put the bumper up to the front of the car and line up the brackets so that they will fit into the fender. you will also have to drill 4 holes in the center of the bumper (underneath the grill location) for 4 pop rivets. that should just about do it.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
ya, once i got the front off the car and started to put the dragon z on, it was a piece of cake. and i don't think there is really any way to reuse the 5mph bumper without any MAJOR modifications to it, and even then, i don't think it would do any good for a collision. are you doing the install yourself?

G

·
Be sure to use your stock bumper braces on the lower parts of that bumper. If you dont your bumper will flare out enourmously!

Check my sig and notice how uniform it is.

Best of Luck,
George

edit: If you have a bumper support that is plastic I highly reccommend building additional supports to hold it up. Pditty had a bumper that fell off on the highway. :(

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by: rista
ya, once i got the front off the car and started to put the dragon z on, it was a piece of cake. and i don't think there is really any way to reuse the 5mph bumper without any MAJOR modifications to it, and even then, i don't think it would do any good for a collision. are you doing the install yourself?
True... i'm not too worried about losing the 5mph bumper... fiberglass is fiberglass... it will crack at even a 2mph hit... either way, i'll be pissed :tongue:

and yeah, more than likely, i'll be at least installing it myself (with 1 or 2 people helping - we all have no experience though heh!), along with new fenders... then shipping it off to the body/paint shop to get sideskirts put on - possibly molded :)

i just dont want to have to pay ANYTHING more than i absolutly have to with bodyshop stuff, cause the costs can be a little crazy.
so i figure if i can at least do the basics before hand to save time... i might as well! :)

and YA DragonZ... i have been wondering about how to prevent it from flairing out at the bottom... but if I can't work something out, im sure the body shop can.
how did you solve the problem? can you give any more details? did they just attach themselfs with magic? :tongue: how did you attach them?

i love you guys! :biggrin: i might as well do this sheet blindfolded if i didn't have people like you to help me!

G

·
I had slight issues when the shop put my first and second bumper on. Recently, i was first to recieve the first bumper made from Andys Auto Sports new mold and I can say that the fiberglass is stronger than my previous Z. Basically, the body shop had to push in the side and place the bracket on. It will be a really tight fit but you shouldnt have a problem with it busting or anything. However, it did create a slight hump in the piece that humps in the middle lower part of the bumper. If you have this problem just lemme know and I can tell ya how you can go about fixing it.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug
I had slight issues when the shop put my first and second bumper on. Recently, i was first to recieve the first bumper made from Andys Auto Sports new mold and I can say that the fiberglass is stronger than my previous Z. Basically, the body shop had to push in the side and place the bracket on. It will be a really tight fit but you shouldnt have a problem with it busting or anything. However, it did create a slight hump in the piece that humps in the middle lower part of the bumper. If you have this problem just lemme know and I can tell ya how you can go about fixing it.
you got the first one from the new mold from andy's?????? wierd. i was told the same thing about 3 months ago:confused:. but the fiberglass on mine is pretty thick and very strong

G

·
haha doesnt suprise me. But there is an issue with mine that needs to be resolved. There was a chemical on the gelcoat that caused that body shop paint to bubble. I now have to wait 25 days so that they can respray the bumper. But yea, the new bumpers are much stronger than the originals.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Originally posted by: 8BaLL
Matt throw me the link for the stock removal :biggrin:
Shayne you know you can just ask me :biggrin: Just let someone turn into your car, and take the front bumper with them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.