New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not refined,but if you can read my pigeon english then you should be okay.

What you need to replace front poads and rotors are the following:

4-6" inch C clamp
7mm allen wrench
15mm socket(works better if you have an adapter to use the socket on a 1/2 inch drive instead of 3/8"

Remove tire and turn front wheel towards you so you can get at the caliper easily. You will notice that on the back of the caliper is two plastic caps. Remove these caps that cover the 7mm allen bolts. remove these bolts. Next you will need to remove the 15mm bolts you will see on the top and bottom of the caliper bracket. It will probably take some force to remove them. I had to use liquid wrench and my foot on one of them. Once you have done this and also removed the metal wire that is over the brake pad on the outside(use a screwdriver to pry the metal wire off) just pull on the caliper and it should come off with not to much force. It worked best once the caliper was off to support it with a jack stand since it's attached with the brake line still. Once off the outside brake pad, which is probably still on the rotor can be removed. It's just sitting against the rotor. The inside pad is held on to the caliper by a inside metal spring, just pull on the pad and it comes off. Now use the C-clamp to push the piston in where the inside brake pad had been. Make sure you push it in all the way. Next remove the old rotor which will just pull off. The only thing at all that is holding them on is possibly a couple tiny metal rings that fit around two of the wheel studs(one of my wheels didn't have them at all. If it seems as if the rotor doesn't want to come off then you will need to use some WD-40 and a hammer to tap on it to break it loose, but nothing is holding it on, so just pull. replace with the new rotor. Put the new pad on the brake caliper and place the outside pad on the rotor where the old one had been sitting. slip the brake caliper over the rotor and replace all the bolts and you are done. BTW don't forget to place the metal wire back on the outside pad after you have everything on.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Or you can go to my website down below and click on how-to's to see it done with pictures.:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
ohh thank you both so much. Doing this on the weekend, unfortunately not the Cross drilled rotors or KVR pads. Stock rotors (turning) and Mintex pads. Appreciate the info.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
HEHE this guy said to remove the hex and the 15mm bolts to do the rotors. For clarification only the 15mm bolts need to be removed and pop the caliper off to access the rotor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts