New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to increase the steering boost? The steering's a bit too heavy for my taste, especially at low speeds like in a parking lot. I confess I'm a chronic one-handed and sometimes one-fingered driver (yes, and I drive an ATX, too), but I don't want to start driving big Buicks or anything. I've increased my tire pressure up to 35psi...made a little bit of a difference, but I'm hoping for more.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
you could put a smaller pulley on the power steering pump.... need a new belt too though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, I do lift weights :tongue: I want a workout from my car about as much as I want to drive my weight bench.

I don't understand why this isn't done more often considering all the effort people put into performance and cosmetic mods. For something as fundamental as steering, I would think that'd be one of the first things people would want to adjust (either making it lighter or heavier).

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
the problem with thoses buick like steering wheels is a loss of steering response, personally i have never heard of a sports car that would sacrifice steering response for each of turning the steering wheel.

and yes that would destroy the pump over a much shorter time, but if that's what he wants... :)

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Cougar's steering isnt considered full power steering, it's "power assisted", so it will never feel like a buick no matter what u do :).
Actually, it's supposedly also 'variable power assisted', meaning the slower the car is going, the easier the wheel turns, the faster you're going, the 'stiffer' the wheel is. :shrug: I thought that was just a dynamic of travelling at higher speeds... :shrug:

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
You might want to find out if your steering is messed up. As NorCal said, we have variable steering, so at low speeds the steeringwheel is easy to turn, but the faster you go, the tighter and harder it is. This is designed to allow you easy turning at slow speeds, but it keeps you from flying off the road at high speeds when you lift one cheek to squeek out a fart.

I am a one handed, usually flat palm driver, and even if my car is not moving, I can easily turn the wheels with a flat palm.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
but it keeps you from flying off the road at high speeds when you lift one cheek to squeek out a fart.
ROFL!!:biggrin:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awright, fine....here's a pic of my wimpy arm. If any of you macho guys could show me your muscles that make it easy to steer the Cougar, maybe that could inspire me to get stronger!

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
wow do i smell a little bit of resentment ?:cover:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll admit to being a bit sarcastic but I'm not sure how I'm being resentful *shrug* :confused:

In all seriousness I consider myself fairly strong, but since some people insist this is some kind of macho contest, I figured we might as well show our goods (and by that I don't mean your head on top of Arnold Schwarzenneger's body), that's all...

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Nice arm there buddy....you trolling the boards for men to pick up?

Jesus man, get a grip. I would like to donate $5 to start a fund to send you to a therapist, because you need to sort out your self esteem issues.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's certainly not how I meant to come off. I just thought I asked a pretty straightforward question to start this thread, and had to respond to the more unhelpful and derisive replies (whether joking or not) because it's not the first time I've seen that attitude on NECO. I think there's a lot of macho BS on this board, quite frankly. Maybe I responded to it in the wrong way and just ended up contributing to it, I dunno. I really don't care if you want to call me wimpy, gay, or whatever, I just have to call BS when I see it.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Hrmmm....maybe I missed something.

You asked a question, and it was taken seriously, discussed, and ANSWERED in 6 of the 9 posts prior to you posting a picture of your arm.

PuckPuck had the first reply, and he tried to help. Then three of us explained what type of steering the Cougar has. I went as far to recommend you taking your Cougar in and having it looked at, because if you think the steering is difficult, then you could have a problem. Have you checked your power steering fluid?

One person made the comment about "wimpy arms"....ONE person. And you come off like everyone attacked you and nobody took your question seriously.

Whew....had to get that out. :)

Anyway, as I said...twice now. If you really think that the steering in your car is tight, then first thing you should do is check your power steering fluid level. It very well could be low...which would cause tight steering. If it is level, and you still think it is tight. I would take it to the dealership and have them look at it. Or drive another Cougar, see if there is a difference. If you lived close to me I would let you take mine around the block to test mine out. If a different Cougar feels the same, then you know that you don't have a problem...you are just used to driving a car with true power steering. If they feel different, then you have a problem. Go get it looked at.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
i like the "harder" steering, it's almost like in a racecar. i hate when steering is too "soft" it's easier to loose control at higher speeds

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awright, fine....here's a pic of my wimpy arm. If any of you macho guys could show me your muscles that make it easy to steer the Cougar, maybe that could inspire me to get stronger!
OMG................ put a long sleeve shirt on those must be illegal in like 49 states.................... you need to at least get a permit for those guns.............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts