New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a 99 2.5 with 64K on it. It's an ATX. I was wondering how I can go about making the car faster, specifically in the transmission. Is there stuff I can buy? Do I drive it like a MTX?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Chips, shift kits, and high stall torque converters will help...

Chip can raise shift points to be more optimal, Shift kits can firt shifts, and high stall torque converters will gove you much better launching abilities, and often get better shifts too.

Also an external tranny cooler is key in keeping the tranny alive, and not losing acceleration ability due to heat.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Look up a Diablo chip or you can get one custom burned for your exact application from streetflight. What the chip does exactly: You can make it do pretty much anything you want. It acts as a piggy back to your car's computer system and tells it how to run your car. You can adjust everything from shift points to timing... A custom burned chip is probably the way to go - but just get all your performance mods finished before you buy one or you will have to reprogram it. My next chip will probably be a custom one from streetflight. I used to have a superchip that I got off of ebay, but it did absolutely nothing for my car. It changed the shift points slightly, but that is it. I sold it after having it in my car for 2 months, and currently I am running with the stock computer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of those upgrades, which can I do myself? I should mention that I have minimal mechanical skills but am willing to learn.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Torque converter and shift kit require removal of transmission...

Torque converter does not require any internal work to fit, it just replaces the old...basically slides on.

G

·
Originally posted by: coyotefreek
How much does this "Torque converter" run?

cost me $300ish to have mine modded, tahts including shipping both ways!

the stall is 3500, but i dont suggest doing this mod unless you do hefty engine mods (3L or turbo)

G

·
My friend and I both bought Superchips and we both had troubles with them. I bought it about a year ago after I installed my intake and it caused nothing but troubles. Honestly Id stick with Diablosport if I did it over again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts