New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was trying to take my rotors off last weekend, and then are seized on there good....i beat the hell out of it with a rubber mallet, and had no luck...i didn't want to take an actual sledgehammer to it, but i couldn't think of what else could get them off...any ideas guys?

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
When I replaced mine, I used a large gear puller to pop them off. I wouldn't do this if you plan on reusing the rotors though because there is a good chance that you will damage them.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
see the problem is, i don't want to damage the rotors because i want to take them to a shop and see if i can get them machined or not...

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
why don't you just let the shop take them off and machine them and put them back on? It's about a 45 minute process for both front rotors.

Mike

C

·
0 Posts
You could also heat them up if you have the right tools, and make sure next time they use anti-seeze on there to prevent it. If you dont have the tools, try the local H.S. garage, or a shop.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let them do it? BAH! Where's the fun in that?
The only possible reason there could be no anti-seize on the rotors is because they are still the original ones, and they've never been taken off before...thats 4 years of rust :tongue:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm...2x4...thats a good idea....now why didn't i think of that? :tongue:
thanks man :)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: Crossay
You could also heat them up if you have the right tools, and make sure next time they use anti-seeze on there to prevent it. If you dont have the tools, try the local H.S. garage, or a shop.
so then all he would have to do is drive around for 15 minutes until the rotors get hot, then get behind them and knock them off with something

Mike

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol...i just pictured me driving around on the rotors with no wheels on :tongue:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I know you probably did, but did you take off the little holders(not sure what there called) off the studs. They put them on at the factory to make sure the rotors don't fall off when its going down the assembly line. They are really weak little rings that sit on like two of the studs. Probably not whats holding them on but worth checking.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I did my fronts on Tue, and rust was a problem, nothing the 2x4 and a hammer couldnt knock off. Only problem was getting a good swing under the car with a 1' peice of 2x4 on a stack of shingles. Now that they are done, rust is building back up...damn Wagner rotors, now I need to take it all apart and paint em. I know I should of done it before...but hell, that would take all the fun away. Better yet a higher quality rotor, but im not drag racing or anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts