New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
8,582 Posts
What do you mean by aftermarket speaker?

Is this a stock alarm? If so, you're basically stuck with whatever it does now (as long as it's working correctly). There was a thread quite a while back where we were talking about the different alarms in the Cougars - some cars never beep, some will beep when you hit lock the second time (mine is in this class, and I think this is the most common), and there may have been a third possibility in that it beeps when you hit the lock button the first time. But as I understand it, this isn't owner-configurable; it's just how the module was programmed.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Im pretty sure that the speakers work together, its a 2 tone 2 horn system... the wires are run together... move them some where else and you may lose your car horn.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cant i just wire something in series with the relay that makes my lights flash? and just not make the back, front, or side lights flash?

the reason i wanna do this is because i gotta turn my head and look at my car everytime i lock it to make sure its locked. id rather just be able to hear a quiet chirp sound.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Well like they said... either your car is not set up to do it, or something is broken. Not alot you can do. I could show you the wiring diagram for the alarm horns. But im not sure that would help much.

and i was just worried about your health :rofl:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Im pretty sure that the speakers work together, its a 2 tone 2 horn system... the wires are run together... move them some where else and you may lose your car horn.
accually yes the cougar does have a 2 tone horn system one high and one low BUT they are only for the regular horn, the beep you hear when you lock the doors is accually another small horn located in the passenger side quarter panel and can easially be wired into with another speaker or horn

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Oh ya its the actual alarm noises that use the horns ... im out of it today i should stop posting.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
accually yes the cougar does have a 2 tone horn system one high and one low BUT they are only for the regular horn, the beep you hear when you lock the doors is accually another small horn located in the passenger side quarter panel and can easially be wired into with another speaker or horn
I dont have a beep when i lock my doors. that is what i want. i dont have any aftermarket speakers, but was looking to buy one so i can have my car beep when i lock the doors.

where is the small horn in the PS quarter panel?

·
Registered
540 Posts
well ive never seen mine personally but it should be in the back right around the speaker area on the inside of the quarter panel....and if you have factory keyless entry the car will have the horn but it must have burnt up or got disconected...

·
Registered
540 Posts
well the horn for the alarm is higher pitched than the horn on the steering wheel....so set off your panic alarm and see where the sounds coming from its very easy to tell if its the one in the QP, but if it is the one in the QP thats working there is somthing wrong with the keyless entry module for the locking mode

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
haha I could tell you a way to do exactly what you're saying, however it would require a lot of work lol... get an after market alarm siren (horn) hooking the positive to a fused tie into the lights which flash when you lock the doors haha and to prevent the horn from going crazy everytime you turn the lights on, you could hook the ground to a relay, and the relay would work off of the ignition, so that when the ignition was off, the relay would close, making a ground circuit, when the ignition was on, it would open the relay and thus breaking the ground circuit... haha... now really... is it worth it? not so much

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
press lock 2 times fast and the lights will blink and the horn will beep.

If not then I think theres somthin wrong with yours, or somone messed with mine that im unaware of.
:banghead: forgot about that!!! :stupid:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts