New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a how-to for the installation of a Mirko RSTB? I've got one, but just want some extra help for a smooth, easy install.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
No problem. I'll try to get DEVIOUSDEV to post pictures soon for it. But here's how it goes:

Tools Needed:

Open-faced wrench (I forgot what size the nuts are)
Phillips head screwdriver (medium/large sized head, don't remember exact size)
Spirit level or laser level of some kind
Drill (Torquey, it has to go through some thick metal)
Punch or marker or something else to mark for holes
A buddy or lackey or slave or something

Instructions:

Put the rear seats down. Unscrew the plastic covers over the seat locks on either side of the body of the car. Remove rear carpet paneling from either side. You should see two metal brackets with a kind of 'triangular' pattern in them on either side now. Hint: The one on the passenger side is just below the trunk lamp. Match the bar up to the sheet metal. The brackets should fit pretty much exactly. Have someone hold it there while you use the level to check it for proper fitment. Make sure you're doing this on LEVEL GROUND! :) Once the bar is level, have whoever is holding the bar sweat it out while you mark the holes for drilling.

Next: Select the proper sized drill bit for the bolts being used. Drill the holes as marked. Okay. Now here is where you have two choices on how you want the bar to look in your trunk. You can either:

A) Mount the bar through the carpet, so that the brackets are visible. Looks good, but will 'mash' the carpet down a bit.
B) Cut holes in the carpet to get a more 'oem' style look.

If you choose A, then when you put the carpet back in the car, punch holes through the carpet over where the holes in the sheet metal are. If B, don't worry about putting the carpet back in until after installing the bar.

Final installation:

Hold the bar up to the holes, put the bolts through. Lock washers go on the other side. Now, if you notice, it's too hard to fit a socket wrench in between the triangulated sheet metal; that's why you are using an open-faced stubby :) Bolt the sucker in!

There you go. Enjoy. :)

BTW, which color did you get and when did you get it? I'm gonna guess blue, and recently. ;)

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I never got a how-to but its pretty self explanatory when you get the bar in your possession... makes a HUGE difference too..

Red Ownz Joo!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by: NorCalCoug

BTW, which color did you get and when did you get it? I'm gonna guess blue, and recently. ;)
Got it friday... hopefully will install this weekend, and yes, it's blue :)

When you talk about bolting it in... how to I access the back of the bolts? From under the car, or from behind the rstb?

Just a question
:confused:

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
from behind where you are making the holes... once you take off that plastic part you can fit a rachet in there and a phillips in the front while you turn and hold... a set of spare hands makes a huge difference as well...

Yes.. Red is sexy and I made sure that I got the biggest bar I could get.. this girl likes em large :bowdown:

·
Registered
478 Posts
A how-to on a Mirko RSTB!!!!!!!
...thought I'd seen it all, it's probably one of the easiest mods ever...

be a bit more confident 01blkcat, if you can fix computers, well, you can do anything

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by: Cougarbloke
A how-to on a Mirko RSTB!!!!!!!
...thought I'd seen it all, it's probably one of the easiest mods ever...

be a bit more confident 01blkcat, if you can fix computers, well, you can do anything
Heheh... I'm not sure why this resurfaced... I asked about this almost 3 months ago, and yes, the install was super easy. I just decided to ask before I got the bar, and when I received it, realized how simple a mark, center-punch, and drill would finish it off :biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts