New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunroof Installation HOW TO

The first thing you must do is call Gary Star (1-800-549-2005) and order the sunroof assembly. The part number is: F8RZ-63518A30-AB It took 4 business days to get to my house.

ALL right you need about 2-3 hours to get this done, if you aren’t familiar with removing your headliner and other interior pieces.

Tools you will need: Straight head screw driver, Philips screw driver, and what my grandfather called a Chevrolet screw driver(don’t know how to explain it but, it had about 6 sides and reminded me of an Alan Wrench with pointy sides. EDIT: Its called a TORX head screw driver. Thanks Trevor

Step 1. Remove passenger and driver side mirrors. The piece closest to the door you just pop the cover off towards the center of the car and there are 2 screw underneath it. On the other side there is a small square behind the part that holds the mirror. Just push that square up with a screw driver and pop out the piece. If you have mirrors with lights you will also need to pull back the foam that is around the wires and unplug them.

Step 2. Pull down the over head lights, and there are 2 screw that attach the plastic dummy lights to the roof, after you take the two screw out there are to clips you must unclip on either side of the screws you just removed.

Step 3. Take off your A pillars. Very easy. There are maybe 5-7 clips on each side. Just unclip them and remove the A pillar. You have to just pull on the pillar a little. I started at the top of the door and made my way down to the dash board. Also go ahead and remove the rubber piece that goes around the sunroof. IT covers part of the headliner.

Step 4. This step is kind of fuzzy. You can remove your inside rear quarter panels, so you can get the T piece that holds the seatbelts on. I just popped the T lose at the top near the headliner and then pulled the clips from the rear pillars.

Step 5. I don’t remember if you have to do this before you take the rear pillar out or not, but you will be able to tell when you are doing it. Remove the coat hooks from the pillar in back by popping off the bottom cap on each of them and unscrewing the one screw each has.

Step 6. The headliner is held up by 3 circular objects above the rear passenger seats, Get a straight head screw driver or knife and pop each of them out. There should then be 3 black screws that the circular pins went into. take each of them out the same way.

Step 7. After you have the front and rear pillars removed you can work the headliner. It is good to have some one inside the car to hold back the T pillars if you didn’t remove them(and I wouldn’t remove them, because it would add a lot of time.) Once you have it clear of the entire sunroof piece. you can stop pulling it back.

You will see the reason it costs so much to replace these things is because it is made as one piece.

Step 8. I put my key in the ignition and had my grandfather guide the roof out as I opened it. From there we popped the sunroof headliner out. It just pops in and out 3 prongs in the front and 3 groves in the back.

Step 9. You can then remove the roof from the by unscrewing the 4 screws that hold it on. 2 on each side front and back.

Step 10. Now you will see 4 tubes one connects to each corner of the sunroof tracks. They are drainage tubes. Take them all off. You will also see 2 separate groups of wires. I believe one has 6 wires and the other has 2 or 4...unclip them.

Step 11. Now you will see that the track is being held on by I think 11 screws. Unscrew all of the screws and now you can remove that old busted pieces of crap out of your car.

Step 12. Bring you new sunroof track and screw it back into the old spots. reconnect the 2 bundles of wires and the 4 drainage tubes.

Step 13. Turn key to where you can roll up and down the windows and try moving the sunroof back if it works you know you did it right.

Step 14. Leave the tracks up at the first stop before the tracks move backwards. Screw you sunroof back to the tracks, but leave the screw pretty loose just enough to hold it on. Now turn the key on again and lower the sunroof. Once it is all the way down. Get out of the car and make sure the roof is level with the rest of the car, If it isn’t then just push on the sunroof until it is all level. Now get in the car and tighten the 4 screw down.

Make a few trial runs and make sure it is opening and closing fine. And think how you just saved yourself at least $500.

Step 15. Now put the sunroof headliner back on. It has 3 groves on the back side and 3 pieces that stick into the roof on the front.

Step 16. Open and close the sunroof a couple more times with the headliner in just to make sure everything is working good.

Step 17. Pull your headliner back through to the front of the car. make sure you pull the dummy lights pack through the hole and make sure the cords that go with mirrors are through there hole. Once this is done, just go back through and put it all back together. Everything snaps right together. Just do it backwards from how you started...Step 7-Step 1

This should be everything you need to know. It was my first time removing any of the interior pieces of the car and we got it done in exactly 2 hours. Make sure that you have everything out of the way before you start trying to pull the headliner out. We just opened the trunk and pulled the headliner straight back until we could get to the entire sunroof track. There was one place where my headliner was glued to the roof of the car. It was right behind the sunroof opening. We just ran a knife at the top of it. It’s still holding up fine so I don’t think there is any need to re-glue it.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
and what my grandfather called a Chevrolet screw driver(don’t know how to explain it but, it had about 6 sides and reminded me of an Alan Wrench with pointy sides.
This is a TORX head screw driver. TORX are measured in sizes that normally incriment in 5's or multiples of 5. The higher the number, the larger the "star".

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i edited teh original thanks Trevor. I had no idea what it was called/ But my grandfather has grew up building cars and is now nearing 60 and he has his own name for everything.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
i really don't think it is necessary to remove the headliner. when i saw the techs checking the rails on mine, the somehow lifted the front end up and next time i looked, it was all back down w/o having to remove any headliner. of course when they did the whole switch out i wasn't there though. i'll check the ford cd if it's the same.

·
Registered
716 Posts
This is definately good information, thank you for taking the time to write this up!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you most definetely do ahve to remove teh headliner jojolmnop. Teh screw that you have to unscrew to get the sunroof assembly off are all hidden by teh headliner. Also there are two groups of plugs that you must unplug to remove the sunroof as well as 4 drainage tubes. I also talked with a mechanic at my dealership and he said you definetely have to remove teh headliner.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
oh okay. -insert foot in mouth- i just thought it was easier when i briefly saw the roof removed.

G

·
How much was the whole assembly anyways?

I doubt the place is open on Sundays so Im not gonna bother calling

Thanks for the how-to. This is great

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the entire assembly was 667.50 shipped. It was the metal tracks so you won't have to worry about them breaking again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
you def. dont have to remove the headliner. i loosened mine and in about an hour gad everything back in and in perfect workin order.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts