New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Why do you want to replace the fluid?

In order to flush the system, bleed at each caliper until you've used up your bottle of new fluid and there is still sufficient left in the tank.

The old fashioned way to bleed the system was to pump your brake pedal over and over again in order to force the fluid through.

The best way though is to connect a bleeding kit which uses the pressure from one of your tyres to pressurize the system.

Duncan (uk)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Yea, don't flush your brake system, that is a waste of time and money. If you have air in the lines, due to a bad brake job, then bleed the system. The way I do it (have never done it to the Cougar, but all my other cars) is to get some silicone tubing that will fit tightly over the bleeder valve. You can get it at any pet store.

Stick the tube on the bleeder valve and the other end into a FULl bottle of brake fluid. Then simply pump the brakes. This will push the air out into the bottle, but each time you release the brake it will suck in fluid. When you are done, push the brake down as far as possible and hold it there, while someone tightens up the bleeder valve.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the filter yellow? I'll only buy it if the filter is yellow. BRIGHT Yellow!

(I screwed up my brake job, and I think I got air in the system, so that is why I ask... My brakes work for crap right now! So you press the pedal all the way in, and then tighten the valve? That doesn't make sense to me, but ok!)

Thanks,
Darcy

P.s. Go ahead and put that brake fluid and <u>yellow</u> filter on ebay, then I'll buy it! lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts