New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well you decided to gut your precats (good choice) but when trying to take off the Y-pipe your brute strength broke the stud on the flange.....o **** you think......well there's an easy fix to this that's wonderfully ghetto fab. See Picture (note: this may work other places you just f-ed up)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You're not going to leave the clamp on it, right? If so, that is by far the most ghetto thing that I have ever seen! I have to admit that once in a while I'll break out the superglue for something minor, but a c-clamp??? That'll never hold!

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,008 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarGT
wow.............

why not press out the stud, and use a new bolt?

that clamp will vibrate right off.
We thought about that - can you press out the stud with the back manifold in place, or is the equipment too bulky? We tried drilling, but those studs are hardened. Sled wailed on it with a drill for, like 5 minutes, and it didn't do ANYTHING. It's stuck in there good.

By the way, the C-Clamp has JB Weld on the threads to keep it from backing off...

Oh, yeah, it's ghetto, all right. But it runs hard, man...

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
oh man, i had the same thing happen to me. gutted the precat a long time ago and snapped that stud off the rear manifold. ypipe still held so didn't think twice about it. no exhaust leaking action was happening. fast forward to brullen ypipe install this whole weekend and of course, the pipe didn't fit perfectly so i just spent about $60 to have some shop torch that stud out and and cut the flange a little so it would all bolt up nicely. only took them about an hour and a half. well worth it tho b/c i was just too frustrated to deal with it longer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ahhhh........my two favorites:

JB Weld
Duct Tape :biggrin:

·
Registered
441 Posts
sort of the same prob, but I torqued the bolts of the main cat in two... I went to Ford and the want 60 bux each for them.... so 2 bucks at my local Cdn Tire and made my own bolt with some washers so far no leaks... but one question. I managed to mess up the threads on nut on the FRONT manifold. Does anyone know the size/thread? I guess I could go and buy a bunch of diff nuts and just try which one fits.. but i'm too lazy.... just having my car borderline loud sounds really cool :)

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,008 Posts
All of the bolts & nuts on the exhaust system are the same size. Just take another one off and take it to Home Depot, and get a matching one. Have someone else drive you there...

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Originally posted by: JohnnyRed
Well you decided to gut your precats (good choice) but when trying to take off the Y-pipe your brute strength broke the stud on the flange.....o **** you think......well there's an easy fix to this that's wonderfully ghetto fab. See Picture (note: this may work other places you just f-ed up)
You still haven't gotten that fixed?!?

Originally posted by: ZEXCougar
You're not going to leave the clamp on it, right? If so, that is by far the most ghetto thing that I have ever seen! I have to admit that once in a while I'll break out the superglue for something minor, but a c-clamp??? That'll never hold!
Well, if he still hasn't gotten that replaced then it's been holding for almost 2 months now.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
All of the bolts & nuts on the exhaust system are the same size. Just take another one off and take it to Home Depot, and get a matching one. Have someone else drive you there...
Home depot is not too good for these kind of bolts. I also stripped the thread on the front bolts..I went to Home Depot and they didn't have any bolts that threaded far enough to the bolt head. An auto store is a better place to look.

Mike

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
oh john, you have the weirdest order of mods. you now have a Titan CAI intake atleast. but you started off with punching a hole in your filter didnt you? then to gutted precats? then to the intake, and now you want headers? and still the stock exhaust? ok then.

you truely are ghetto-fabulous john.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow I cant believe this thread was brought back from the dead.....yea I have weird orders of mods.....but I'm building on price I'm willing to spend. I "gutted" my airbox.....twas no hole in my filter, that would have been really ghetto and bad.

On a side note I was truly amazed on one of my cruises through Wal-Mart.....My keen eye just happened to spot "JB Kwik" (I think that's how those crazy engineers spelled it) it sets up in hardly any time the box said......time for JohnnyRed to test it out. Am I the only ghetto fab modder who has fallen in love with yet another amazing product from the JB industries?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,008 Posts
JohnnyRed = NECO's MacGyver

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.