New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is pretty basic and I just did one on our Cougar yesterday, so I figured I'd post a short how-to.

First off, I went down to the parts store and bought the following:

1 Quart Valvoline Automatic Transmission Fluid (Mercon III)
5 Quarts Cheapo Shell 5w-30 Motor Oil
6 Quarts Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 Motor Oil
1 Standard Fram Oil Filter (PH2)
1 Fram Tough Gaurd Oil Filter (TG2)

You can use one quart of Kerosene instead of the Automatic Transmission Fluid, however, most places only carry Kerosene as a seasonal product and the Automatic Transmission fluid is easier to get a hold of.

1. Drain the old oil out of your car, remove the old oil filter
2. Put standard Fram air filter on the car and replace the oil drain plug
3. Add 1 quart automatic transmission fluid and 4.5-4.8 quarts cheap oil (Oil Capacity with a filter is 5.8 quarts)
4. Replace oil filler cap
5. Start engine and let the car run at idle for 10-15 minutes (DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE)
6. After the 10-15 minutes, turn off car and allow engine to cool.
7. Drain flush fluids, if the fluids and remove oil filter.
(Repeat 1-7 if needed)
8. Put new oil filter on and replace the oil drain plug
9. Fill with 5.5-5.8 quarts of good oil (Recommend Mobil 1 Synthetic)

You're all done. It's pretty simple, I try and do a flush at least once or twice a year, depending on the cars mileage.

--Adam

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
you can use transmission fluid in your motor ,I never new that

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well you don't use it for extended use, but the reason for using it is the extra detergents and cleaners it has is pretty effective at cleaning out buildup. The best stuff to use, in my opinion, is Kerosene, but like I said sometimes it can be a pain to find.

Seafoam is also great stuff, and there are a number of engine flush treatments out there that work pretty well too. The reason I recommend AT fluid is because it has lubrication properties such as oil and that's what I've had the most experience using.

--Adam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.