New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IT'S probably A DUMB QUESTION AS YOU KNOW I AM DUMB BUT WHERE WOULD YOU PUT YOUR JACK AT IF YOU HAVE A BODY KIT ON AND YOU NEEDED TO CHANGE A FLAT TIRE?

G

·
i wondered the same thing,,,,like me....your screwed...buy a can of fix-a-flat and take out your spare tire and extra stuff, it will save you about 50 pounds or so.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THERE HAS TO BE A WAY

·
Administrator
11,577 Posts
I swear I saw this somewhere but forget. I also was going to mention this to Cougarfest goers on getting their car up onto the grass, but they had other ways they used instead.

You have these wooden planks that are stacked like so. They have enough space between them so that each tire rests fully on a flat surface. When the car gets up top you can put her on stands or work underneith it. You'll just need to use fix-a-flat to get it home. Granted it's not too portable, but it would work.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
That is exactly how I get my SW kit cougar raised when its sitting 4 inches below stock... I used 1/16th inch boards... If you get a flat on the road.... unless you have boards you are stuck until you cna get the boards

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok lets say your on the highway and you get a flat, then you use a fix-a-flat to get it home now once you get it home how do you get the tire off where do you put the jack...remember you have a body kit on your car?????
Adam

·
Administrator
11,577 Posts
Well, in reality it wouldn't raise the car that high (it looks like a whole foot in the pic). I would give you enough clearence to get jack under the car.

Find a spot to balance the car & raise it untill you can swing the front pieces out. Use jackstands to stablize the sides if you have to. I rotated my tires with just one jack by balancing the car (i used crates to prevent tipping too.) So I had the entire front end off the ground for both tires.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
you need a floor jack..... for anyone with a body kit your stock jack is worthless..... if you ever get a flat you are screwed unless you run around with a floor jack in your trunk....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I HAVE THE BADDEST LUCK, I'VE GOTTEN SO MANY FLAT TIRED LIKE 10!! THIS TOWN SUCK

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
"The baddest luck"....what the hell does that mean? ;)

Actually there is a wicked easy way.....but they are hard to find. There is an airbag car lift that works off your exhaust. Basically it is a big ass balloon that you hook up to your tail pipe, your exhaust gases fill the balloon up and lift your car off the ground. You can put it just about anywhere under the car. They are some what hard to find, because they are basically a tool for stealing rims.....you can lift one side of a car off the ground, take off the rims, lower it back down on the brakes, then repeat on the other side. You can snag a complete set of rims in a few minutes...very quietly, almost as good as the center punch. Of course I would not know anything about those. ;)

Here is one on eBay, Air Bag Jack.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that's pretty nifty!! :cool: thanks for the help

G

·
The jack should go right where it is supposed to along the pinch weld. The body kit just makes it harder to get the jack under and a flat tire doesn't help it any more. You could always carry to small boards with you if you have room in the trunk, or better yet lay they in with the spare tire. Just put them in in front of or behind the tire that is flat and pull up onto the boards. That should give you enough room for your jack. Even carrying a floor jack with you won't help once a body kit is installed or car has been lowered. And who wants to carry a floor jack with them. If you don't have a boards to pull onto I would find something that would work, call a friend to help, or call a tow truck. I tow a lot of imports that have been slammed or have body kits for one of our accounts. They are no fun to load onto the truck or to change a tire on unless you you know what you are doing. I wish I had pictures of the eclipse GSX with full body kit that I had to take to the dealer. It only had three wheels on it and I didn't damage anything while loading or unloading it.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
2X8.... use em love em use em again and love em some more....

i drive around from full slam to 1" from full slam all the time, and I jack up the car often also...

First off DO NOT THROW OUT YOUR STOCK JACK...... it can get in places no other jack can... sure it's hard to use, but it has a very low profile... Second if you can't get any jack under, then drive the front wheels up onto the 2X8s... if you still cant then use a 4X8 just in front of that...

finally go to the store and buy another floor jack, but get one with a very low profile... anything under 5" and you have a score of a jack....

·
Registered
492 Posts
I got SW kit and eibach and i can change a tire with the stock jack.

Just tilt it throught the wheel well, put it at the usual spot and you can jack the car right up.

I have a pump jack too but there no way that will get under there.

G

·
Well u could always just get airbags, j/k. For real though, if your stuck with a flat and no boards just look for a curb( not a 90 degree curb, one like in an entrance to mcDonalds) or if your on the highway drive to where the pavement ends and depending on what side of the car u need to lift drive one tire off the road. For instance if u need to lift the back tire drive the front off at enough of an angle to have the back tire still up on the road. Viola room for a jack!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts