New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've tried installing a performance chip in your car and it would not start, this could be the reason. I was informed by a fellow NECO member that some late model 99's and all 2000 Cougars' ecu "ports" are not activated. Well, it turns out this was my problem. I tried installing a Diablo chip and the car would not start. It would turn over but the check engine light would flash and it would not start. So after some research, I found that you could activate the port yourself. Here's what I did:

Before you do this, make sure your connections are clean and try it again. If it still doesn't work, this could be your fix:

Take out the ECU, open it up. There are four small "contact points" (I have no idea what they're really called) that need to be connected. Actually, you have to connect two pairs separately. Refer to the attached picture. Make sure get the clear plastic coat off of the area first with some sand paper or a scocth brite pad first. Now these "contact points" are <u>really</u> small. My first idea was to solder a piece of wire between each point, but because they're so small and close together I just soldered them together directly. (Actually a friend of mine did it because I know nothing about soldering)

And voila! Car fired right up!

I hope this helps some of you.

I found this info here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car works fine. As for performace gains, I haven't really had a chance to go for a spirited drive yet. But I did notice a <u>little</u> torque boost in the low-end. When I get a chance to smash the gas, I'll let you know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,483 Posts
Well I'm close to where you are... just got my diablochip and couldn't get my car started, gonna try one more thing that pgtatx recommended and then I'll try the solder trick....you scooped away the plastic gell over the connectors first right
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,483 Posts
Just installed mine with the jumper/solder trick and it works. Took it around and noticed a higher shift point for 1st gear. Can't tell if it accelerates faster but does seem a little smoother. I'll try driving some more later on.

On a side note, hopefully not related to the diablochip. After installing the diablo chip this time, my radio stopped working as if a fuse was blown. I checked the fuse on the back of the radio and the one in the fuse panel by driver's feet and both seemed alright. I don't think the ECU/diablo has any direct control over the radio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Recal that the stock stereo does have that speed sensor thing for volume control. That could possible cause a problem. Just thought I'd throw that out there....



Darcy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,483 Posts
I eventually solved the problem, not sure exactly what was wrong. I pulled it out and disconnected the wires for a second or two, reconnected them and it works fine. Its not the stock radio btw, its a Sony MD Deck.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top